lyttonguy

SWANN VS DynDNS.com How does Dyns work? need instructions

Swann does'nt give (nor does DynsDNS for that matter) any user instructions on how to get these two to work! I'm just stumbling through without guidance, sure can use some help here getting views/pics on desktop (Vista) and established an account on Dyns but that's all what now? please help from anyone who Knows, thanks be safe. Fireman Joe

NOTE:using DVR9-SecuraNet

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I downloaded the manual and I think I can help you

First, you will need to set up a free account in dyndns. In the DVR fill in as follows. I created a step by step webpage on how to set up a new account and hostname in dyndns.com just in case you also needed help there as well.

http://shoreviewsecuritynj.com/dyndns.html

Page 19 in the manual at the bottom...

User Name: This is the user name you used to setup your dyndns account

Password: This is the password you used to sign into dyndns.

Domain Name: This is the domain name you created in dyndns. For example, yourDVR.dvrdns.org where as "yourDVR is the unique name that you created.

Also, you will need to determine your DNS1 IP address. On a computer on the same network as the DVR go to start, all programs, accessories, command prompt. Type in ipconfig/all ( assuming you are using windows ) The "DNS1 IP address will need to be input into the DVR's network settings. Page 18 at the bottom of the DVR manual. Make sure you sign up on dyndns first then set up the DVR. Once complete, you may have to reboot the DVR. Also, insure you have the DVR's ports forwarded or it will not work ( a whole other story ). Although the IP address may update in dyndns, if you don't have the ports forwarded correctly, it will not work. One other thing... depending upon your ISP, they may not allow you to log into your DVR by using your public IP address. Most DSL providers are like this. In other words, if you are at your PC and this PC is on the same network as the DVR and you type in your IP address or dyndns address it may not allow both outgoing and incoming connections. You may be doing everything right and trying to access using your public IP address.

OK, let's assume you can log into your DVR using your public IP address. In the browser, type in the unique name you created in dyndns and it should redirect to your DVR.

I hope this has helped.

Good luck

Mike