Guns_35

pan and tilt wiring

Hi I'm a newbie to this forum, I think its just what I've been looking for. The reason I was browsing the internet and found this forum, is that I have a Molynx videmech pan and tilt unit. It has two plugs on the front, one is seven pin, the other four pin. I also have a control unit.

My question is has anyone got a wiring diagram for the pan and tilt unit!

To date I have figured out the common ground wire and tried connecting a 24v on each of the pins on the seven pin plug, in turn. My thinking for this was to great a current to the stepper motors so that I could figure out the correct pin for up down, left right. It didn't work, so thats why I'm asking for help.

Thank you for your response,

I'm afraid I only have a product code its a 12T24D4824.

your help is much appreciated.

I'd be worried that your "testing" of applying power to different pins may have damaged something. The vast majority of professional PT(Z) cameras and platforms use RS-232/422/485 serial data to control their movement - this is generally only a +5 or +12VDC low-current data signal applied to a single pair of pins, and it carries only command instructions for the various operations. In other words, there are no separate pins for up, down, left, right, etc.

Now, there are some cameras that do use individual pins for each control direction, but they tend to be either on the cheap side, or the really old side (before the industry more-or-less standardized on serial communications). Problem is, without standards, they can operate in a variety of different methods. I think the last one I dealt with, the camera had remote zoom and focus functions, whereby zooming in or out, or focusing in or out, was controlled by the appropriate wire being connected either to ground or to +Vcc. For example, connect the zoom wire to ground, and the camera zoomed out... connect it to the power line, and it zoomed in.

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpfull, tested the pan and tilt and it is VDC, got it turning and panning on the workbench, once I checked it with a multi-meter, of course. When I originally tried this, I was looking for AC and the common wire and the spike when I connected with a coil (got very strange results, hence the request for help).

After testing, it seems that I only need four of the pins on the seven pin plug, two per movement. I will use two reverse pole six pin toggle switches providing possitive and negative voltage across each pair, this will give me up down left right.

Should point out that when testing I put 12v dc per pair and got movement, so I was lucky and got away with my earlier experiments, whew, close thing, I just assumed all pan and tilts were 24v AC.

I will let you know how I get on. Sould have it built this weekend, once I get the toggle swithes. The computer control sounds interesting, bit of a novice regarding the this, but I am intriqued and I will look into this.

If its the style Im thinking of, the big heavy duty monsters that usually sit on top of buildings etc then one socket s is wired direct to the motors, and the other socket is for positioning feedback (via potentiometers).

No joy with that number you gave, nothing else on the unit at all?

The old style ones used in the UK, sold by molynx/dennard etc didnt use any protocol at the pan/tilt itself, the units were controlled by a 'telemetry' control box, which was itself controlled via rs485 or similiar.

The head itself was a dumb unit that required the controller to supply power down the right pair of wires for movement to occur, and the control unit had to read the potientiometers to see when it had moved enough (some didnt even provide feedback on position, just relying on the operator controlling it).

Some are 12v, some 24v some 240v...

If you have already got it 'moving' then thats the hard part done, just measure different pairs on the other socket to figure out the feedback side of it (if you want, or need to)

If you want a proper controller for it, check out http://www.bbvcctv.com/

Their not cheap though,and you would need a controller/receiver (unless you use a pc to control the receiver).

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately the pan and tilt doesn’t have any model labels except the serial number. I have since put a positive 12v over one pair and it moved right negative and it moved left. Did the same on the other two pins and got up and down. This is all I need at the moment since I don't need auto panning.

My plan is to construct a simple box with two toggle switched for left and right and up and down.

To power the camera on the pan and tilt and get picture. I will use a separate cable, the reason being is that I want to change the camera regularly, so it is an advantage to me to make each part of the system interchangeable and simple as possible.

Thanks again for every-ones help, with each reply, I learn a great deal.

great postings guys.... I ran into the same complications on what turned out to be an older Pelco pan and tilt unit... After spending quite some time with the techs at Pelco because the lable have no desingation to the voltage or model, just serial number designation... an older tech came up with some documentation wherein the unit is actually 115VDC. Who ever heard of that? Of course a 115VDC pan and tilt controller by them was discontinued by them some 15 years ago. For those 2 units I'm going to have to do the same as Guns... create my own controller with relays and a 24 volt pan and tilt controller. It should be pretty easy, my question would be do you know where I can find a 120VAC line in transformer with 115VDC load out. The requirement on the pan/tilt units are only 3 amps. So I don't need more than a 10 amp output in case both units operate at the same time.

Lancersdad