wax

CCTVhotdeals

Are you guys related to cctvhotdeals? I've seen this in someone's signature and it made me curious about their company.

Nope.

They have been previously warned re advertising on the forum.

Is cctvforum affiliated with any vendor? I'm just looking for a reliable supplier.

I don't speak for this site, but I've been around long enough and seen enough similar types of boards to give some reasoned answers

I don't believe they are directly affiliated with any one vendor. The forum sells advertising space to vendors, via their banners (see http://www.cctvforum.com/advertise.php). To be affiliated themselves with a specific vendor would present a potential conflict of interest, and most likely drive away many advertisers.

The "Why advertise" blurb includes this line: "Members and visitors come to CCTV Forum to discuss and get unbiased recommendations on CCTV equipment and components." I've seen this done on vendor-related forums, but it's pretty tricky to do, and always leads to accusations of bias. The best way to avoid it is to simply avoid any direct affiliation - everyone pays the same amount for their ad slots, and everyone gets the same coverage.

Being a private operation, they don't HAVE to follow any rules of "fairness"... but they do try to be fair to all, which is one of the major benefits of this site over others I've seen.

Now all that said... if you're looking for a reliable supplier, a lot of the members here are installers and resellers in the industry, and have their own list of suppliers they use and like to recommend (or warn against, as the case may be). If you mention what area you're in, someone else can probably offer some suggestions of suppliers to try. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between them, and mouthpieces for the suppliers themselves.