thewireguys

Panasonic WV-NP502 images

to me this is only a 1.3MP camera becuase it can't support h.264 at 3MP.

So far Mobotix still has a better daytime image and I will bet the 3130/M12 will have a better night image becuase of the dedicated sensor.

So, by your logic, the 3130/M12 are 0 megapixel cameras, because neither has H.264, is that correct?

Best,

Christopher

No because the 3130/M12 are 1.3MP at night which as you know will be significantly smaller file size then a 3 MP day/night image.

No because the 3130/M12 are 1.3MP at night

I don't understand your preferences for a security camera. You consistently berate cameras that don't support H.264 while at the same time favoring the 3130. Why?

Best,

Christopher

No because the 3130/M12 are 1.3MP at night

I don't understand your preferences for a security camera. You consistently berate cameras that don't support H.264 while at the same time favoring the 3130. Why?

Best,

Christopher

"You consistently berate cameras that don't support H.264" I think your over exacturating here. I think this camera has a good image and handles back lighting very well. But why would the only support H.264 up to 1.3MP for $1000.00? I think that they need to either upgrade the processor so the camera can do h.264 at full res or they need to drop the price. Look at the ACTi TCM-5311 why would I pay hundreds of $ more for the Panasonic?

For your situation this is fine if your just FTPing images but for professional installs I think there is better options for camera selection. I recommend the 3130 because it has the best low light performance I have seen from a MP camera and once the 3135 comes out I will recommend that once the I see the images.

Give me the best images and compression, the NVR software can handle everything else and if I need all of the bells and whistles I would go with Mobotix.

But why would the only support H.264 up to 1.3MP for $1000.00?

They decided to use the 3 megapixels of the sensor to significantly increase the dynamic range of the 1.3 megapixel H.264 video stream, but setting aside whether that actually produces better security or not, what company builds a 3 megapixel H.264 decoder and 3 megapixel monitor and how much do they cost, and most important, what is the market size for 3 megapixel H.264 video streams? While most companies are transitioning from CIF, 4CIF, and NTSC, you expect companies to address a 3 megapixel H.264 market? Will the Arecont 3135 support 3 megapixel H.264?

Best,

Christopher

The big advantage of the Super Dynamic series has traditionally, of course, been their dynamic range and handling of widely dynamic scenes - that's a big part of why a CP484 runs $600+ compared to about $250 for a CP414.

From what I'm seeing, this thing carries on the SD tradition quite well. Granted, the windows are obviously tinted (look outside when they open the door), looks like a 20%-30% tint, but even then, the highlights outside should be blown out on most other cameras given the inside lighting level.

And please, barrel distortion? Really? This is a major issue? It sounds like some people have never seen it before - you'll get it on 99% of all cameras, including $8000 DSLRs, when using wide-angle lenses. Correct it? Who cares? cglaeser is right, no cops are going to reject an ID because of it, and no court will toss out evidence because of it. Keep in mind what the PURPOSE of this type of video is, people - this is for security and identification purposes, not high art or making movies.

We have a client who wanted an MP camera for an ID shot on their flagship store a couple years ago, and we talked them into a CP484 instead because no MP cameras at the time would handle the severe backlighting. They'd still love to use MP for that purpose - if this lives up to the Super Dynamic name, they'll want to use it, for no other reason than it gives them the high resolution in extreme lighting conditions.

But why would the only support H.264 up to 1.3MP for $1000.00?

They decided to use the 3 megapixels of the sensor to significantly increase the dynamic range of the 1.3 megapixel H.264 video stream, but setting aside whether that actually produces better security or not, what company builds a 3 megapixel H.264 decoder and 3 megapixel monitor and how much do they cost, and most important, what is the market size for 3 megapixel H.264 video streams? While most companies are transitioning from CIF, 4CIF, and NTSC, you expect companies to address a 3 megapixel H.264 market? Will the Arecont 3135 support 3 megapixel H.264?

Best,

Christopher

Will the Arecont 3135 support 3 megapixel H.264? yup

I'm the only barrel guy in this discussion and have made my limited experience quite clear without shame or excuse.

Well like I said I've not seen this barrel distortion on the cams I've tried to date. I'm not "acting" at all here and never said it was a "major problem" either. I've never owned an SLR or DSLR. Never disagreed with the asertion that the police would not reject for barrel distortion.

To your point above what I AM saying is I just saw 2 guys walk out the door with who knows what 12 feet in front of a 1000 dollar camera that is the "bees knees" for WDR MP technology and I couldn't ID them from here. Yes the sky looks great and the bumper is awesome and hey "roll out the barrel" distortion for all purposes of discussion. If I was the customer I'd expect better you can bet on it.

I'll ask it again. Am I expecting too much from a 1000 dollar camera? Is this simply how the camera is setup? Could it be better you think?

Can anyone explain to me why the major wash of the outdoor image when the men (obviously not perps but i dunno? ) opened the door to leave? Should could or would the camera have corrected for this eventually?

Thanks!

I'm gonna play this one down the middle. I am a believer in the Arecont implementation of H.264, We have a customer that needed 2+ years of archive from five 5MP cameras.. still took 48TB, but that one just was not going to happen before H.264.

As far as 3MP decoders and monitors, for my customers, at least, that is not the point. They are using the cams in a post-event mode for their zooming capability.

I've also used Panasonic cameras for over ten years, and I have always liked their performance, especially in WDR situations.

The Panasonic rep said once CMOS imagers are good enough for them, they'll use them... Until then, CCD it is.

I happen to think most proponents of megapixel cams that say manual iris lenses are good enough are wrong....once it gets dark, and you have a camera already handicapped by small pixels, and a CMOS imager, why handicap it further with a lens closed down to F4.0 or tighter?

As far as the H.264 capping at 1.3 MP, (I think) that is the limit of the "standard" implementation of H.264.. beyond that are non-standard implementations, which I think Panasonic is trying to avoid.

To your point above what I AM saying is I just saw 2 guys walk out the door with who knows what 12 feet in front of a 1000 dollar camera that is the "bees knees" for WDR MP technology and I couldn't ID them from here.

How many pixels are on the faces? The lens appears to be set to the widest angle to cover the entire front of the office from just a few feet. Zoom the lens to cover jsut the door and many more pixels will cover the faces. The coverage area and pixels on the faces is no different than any other security camera. However, if you compare this camera with another 1.3 mp camera using the same lens settings, you will really begin to see the difference of WDR in this bright parking lot / less-bright office setup.

Best,

Christopher

To your point above what I AM saying is I just saw 2 guys walk out the door with who knows what 12 feet in front of a 1000 dollar camera that is the "bees knees" for WDR MP technology and I couldn't ID them from here.

How many pixels are on the faces? The lens appears to be set to the widest angle to cover the entire front of the office from just a few feet. Zoom the lens to cover jsut the door and many more pixels will cover the faces. The coverage area and pixels on the faces is no different than any other security camera. However, if you compare this camera with another 1.3 mp camera using the same lens settings, you will really begin to see the difference of WDR in this bright parking lot / less-bright office setup.

Best,

Christopher

Hadn't even considered the size of the men's faces just thought they definately looked large enough for some recognition. The darkness of them took me by surprise there above all. Zooming would help in the picture brightness I take it.

It sounds as if one could brighten up the image at the expense of some wash outside to actually see faces inside? The DR would simply scale? Got it I think..

Thanks!

Will the Arecont 3135 support 3 megapixel H.264? yup

At night?

Best,

Christopher

No it's a dual sensor camera that is why it is so good it night but if you want h.264 all of Areconts **05 line are H.264 up to 5 megapixel..... But if I need good low light I am using 3130/3135

But if I need good low light I am using 3130/3135

Yes, that 1/2" BW sensor is hard to pass up. Just wish it came with the Axis or Panasonic feature set. Given that the Axis is 1/4" CMOS and the Panasonic is 1/3" CCD, that's an easier decision for me. Would be great if someone could post a 3135 vs 502 low light shootout.

Best,

Christopher

who needs a day time only camera, where are the night shots?

Also the real WDR test is when the light is hitting the glass from the other direction .. in other words shining right at the front door.

Night shot... Here you go, set at 1/30, no frame integration, 3MP MJPEG mode, adaptive black stretch on.

BTW, if you are going to use them with Exacq, you need their beta driver at this point.

Click on them twice to get full resolution.

107689_1.jpg

Daytime

107689_2.jpg

Will try to get 1.3 MP H.264 samples, and some WDR shots (only available in 1.3 MP mode)

More to come.

who needs a day time only camera, where are the night shots?

Also the real WDR test is when the light is hitting the glass from the other direction .. in other words shining right at the front door.

Maybe should make a how to test manual?

How to test DVR - Frames - same DVD movie - Network - Resolution and so on.

How to test analog camera; Day/Night, light angle and so on, should also have a wall size test poster for colors and patterns etc.

How to test IP camera and so on!

JD

that night shot looks like day light compared to my night applications

any real day night examples?

Though thanks hardwired, camera is still impressive.

Still working on it, the camera is just too good That area actually looks darker in real life than the pic. I know what you mean, though. I hope to have a few more in the next few days.

Still working on it, the camera is just too good That area actually looks darker in real life than the pic. I know what you mean, though. I hope to have a few more in the next few days.

How do they do video motion detection.... with boxes or like Arecont? images look good.

Also does the camera switch from 3MP to 1.3MP automatically or do you have 3MP day/night or 1.3MP day/night. The reason I ask is how does the NVR software handle the switch from MJPEG to H.264 when you from 3MP to 1.3MP.

thanks

Thewireguys.....Motion grid.. 107702_1.jpg

Don't think res settings can change day / night.. still going through settings, though.

Not as many settings as Mobotix, though... Just put in three D12's, Those things are like the Batmobile /Swiss army knife of setting menus.... What in the heck are you going to use a random event trigger for, anyway!?!