tomster

Pelco PT270P pan tilt wiring

I have a Pelco PT270P (115v) pan tilt head. I am trying to get around having to run conduit to the pan tilt head from the controller. The wiring chart in the manual says that for my needs, 20 guage would be fine. However, I am not aware of a 6 conducor romex cable in 20 guage. This is a 115v, 6 conductor line that is needed. Had anyone installed one of these 115v pan tilt heads and how did you go about it?

I tried to post a link to the manual, but since I was new here, the rules wouldnt let me. The manual is available from pelco for download. If you need to see the manual, please google "C323MI" (without the quotes). It should come up as the first link.

Thanks

Hmm, without looking at the manual, just a couple thoughts:

I doubt that the control wiring is 115V; though it may be powered with standard line AC, control is usually via low-voltage RS-232/422/485 (+5 or +12VDC). Either way, use of conduit for the AC is likely required by electrical code, and if so, there's no way around it, unless your local code also allows BX. Even if the platform does use 115VAC for its control signals, it would still have to conform to your local code.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it's a 115v head. It's made by pelco and it uses a pretty standard controller (for example-- phillips/bosch ltc5133/60)

Anyway, I was hoping someone had some installation experience with this pan tilt and could give me a couple of pointers.

Thanks

Because he can't!

Pan/Tilt systems like the Pelco PT270P are only the motors, no electronics. The 6-wire cable actually provides the power for the pan and tilt motors. There is a separate control box and the 6 wires run from it to the P/T head. The connector on the unit has 6 pins for the motors (the other pins are unused):

1. Common

3. Left pan motor

7. Right pan motor

6. Up tilt motor

5. Down tilt motor

8. Ground

By the way, PT270P's are quite uncommon. More common are the PT270-24P and the PT280-24P. The big advantage is that the motor power wires are low voltage (24V). They also make a 230V unit (PT270P/230). The PT280 series includes lens control, video and and camera power connections on the main connector and a cable harness and connectors for those functions.

106590_1.jpg

PT270-24P

pt280-24p.jpg

PT280-24P

Edited by Guest

Ahhh, got it. Okay, consider me enlightened. Thanks

Back to the original problem then, he's not likely to be able to get around using conduit to run the wiring - not because of Pelco's specs, but because in most of the civilized world, electrical code would require it

He might be able to use the cable I linked to. That is Direct Burial 600V Tray cable. Otherwise, he would have to at least use flex conduit between the control and the connector and install the connector in an electrical box.

Hardly anyone uses those Pan/Tilts any more because of those and other issues, including the speed of the motors:

"High Speed Pan Movement (12°/sec ±1°)"

Thanks for the posts. The cable is indeed expensive and I'm probably going to settle on plan B for the wiring (conduit with electrical boxes at each termination point). The tray cable, for the lengths I need, would be cost prohibitive for the application. This head is only going to be used as an all around PTZ. It, along with the control, was acquired very inexpensively and is in new condition so there really isn't anything to loose except a bit of labor for the hookup.

Anyway, thanks again for all the insight.

Tom