magohn

Newbie - please help choose a camera...

Hello All,

First time poster who needs some advice - please .

I am running excellent surveillance software with a couple of cheap wireless I P cams. As the dark days are coming these cameras will be rendered almost useless as they do not provide any type of image when dark - just static. I want to replace them.

Here is my criteria:

Budget - approx total of $1000 for 2 or 3 quality cameras that must have:

I P Type (wireless as I dont want to run cable)

Good night time (IR?) and daytime picture

Optical Zoom

Reliability

SD card (optional)

Outdoor

I have been looking at the Toshiba 1K-WB11A but it is priced at close to $600 and is over 4 yrs old.

Any suggestions on a decent CCTV camera?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

P.S.

Must be "iCatcher Console " software, Pan Tilt Zoom compatible (there is a large supported list on the"iCatcher " page but i cant post the link until I have 5 posts - please feel free to recommend a camera and I can check the list)

Thanks!

So your looking for a Day/Night IR wireless PTZ camera for outdoor use for 300-500$ ?

Yes. Around $500 per camera (less would be nice)

Hello, Magohn, I think your buget is enough for three quite good IP cameras...

Here comes with common features:

10 Infrared LED, Automatic Operate in Dark Environment

IR Night Vision up to 8m

Pan & Tilt: 270° Left to Right, 120° Up to Down

[/u]

IR Night Vision up to 8m

Pan & Tilt: 270° Left to Right, 120° Up to Down

[/u]

STOP SPAMMING YOUR ****TY CAMERAS...... WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO IGNORE THE SITE RULES

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9805

Thanks for the suggestion Suky but I have one of those cams already - good value for $ but i want higher-end cams as these cams have poor color and the are not outdoor capable - thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion Suky but I have one of those cams already - good value for $ but i want higher-end cams as these cams have poor color and the are not outdoor capable - thanks.

Hi, doubtful that you will find any "high end" PTZ cameras for $500, not even at dealer discounted cost. Not to mention with Infrared and an IR Cut filter (gets rid of the poor color).

Your best bet is to forget PTZ and focus on some decent True Day/Night IR bullets.

Hi, doubtful that you will find any "high end" PTZ cameras for $500, not even at dealer discounted cost. Not to mention with Infrared and an IR Cut filter (gets rid of the poor color).

Your best bet is to forget PTZ and focus on some decent True Day/Night IR bullets.

I agree - newb as I am, after a little reading most "decent" cams are around the $1k a piece mark. I have two options, increase the $ or go without PTZ - Im prepared to be flexible on either option if it means a quality camera. However, Im also coming to the realization that there are not that many 802.11 cameras out there. i was confused by thinking a "IP Camera" was a wifi camera -not so, as it seems you still have to run CAT5 cable - I dont want to do that - I am not handy at putting holes in walls etc.

I would prefer something like the Toshiba IK-WB11A that is WiFi, PTZ and outdoor but that camera seems old technology.

So to cut a long story short, what are my camera options in the 802.11x (wifi) arena (with night option)?

Thanks for the help so far....magohn

I think you found your camera with the Toshiba IK-WB11A..... I think Panasonic makes some outdoor wireless cameras but they don't have IR.

Do you have power at the camera locations?

As soon as you go day/night your cost goes up and I have not seen a outdoor ready IP camera with wifi..... Most wifi cameras are box/cubes that require housings to go outdoors and your adding more cost.

If you already have power at the location you can make any IP camera wifi with an access point and if you don't have power at that location then I would run a cat5 when you install the power.

If you don't feel comfortable running wires please hire a professional to install the system.

Vivotek has wifi day/night camaeras but they need a housing and IR

http://www.vivotek.com/products/network_cameras.php

Acti has outdoor cameras but no wifi

http://www.acti.com/product/category/IP_Bullet_Camera

Your gonna spend a minimum $500 per camera for everything