mikelewis

EyeMax DVR and Virtualization

Hey - I recently took over the management of a CCTV system at my parents company. They have an EyeMax 9120 DVR system with 12 cameras. Over the last year we have been migrating the whole office to macbook pros.

However, there is no OSX version of the remote client software. I would like to run that software in virtual machine using either Parallels or VMWare. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using the EyeMax software in this environment. Does one virtualization package work better than the other?

I have contacted EyeMax, but they have not returned my emails and there is no phone number. The Security company that installed the system has since gone out of business and is therefore no longer providing support. Anything tips you all might have would be fantastic.

---

Mike Lewis

Lewis Salvage Corperation

Warsaw, IN

mikelewis at nifftystuff dot com

Mike I am a eyemax dealer and build our systems I have had customers try to make a mac work with no luck It has to have activex to work with IE so using a mac is out of the question now they have used a new mac with dual boot mac and windows and it worked only in the windows side with the vista client. You could change to a dvr that works with a mac or buy a new mac dual boot.

i don't understand why he would have to dual boot as opposed to just running windows inside a vm? this way he could keep the mac running all the time and just open the vm to see the video in IE via activex.

activex does not play well doing emulation. Why don't you put a chevy motor in your ford car. The same reason it was not designed to work that way. Use things the way the designers built them. Emulation anything is not 100% and you are talking security. Would you bet your life on sometime and maybe 50% of the time. Would you fly in a plane with a emulation pilot that crashed 50% of the time?

imho, crirvine is taking it to extremities with his examples, cool story bro indeed

eyemax dvr client works just fine on an intel mac under emulation (actually vmware fusion or parallels on an intel mac is not emulating a cpu, so it's not really that much work for the computer, the most important thing is to have a sufficient amount of ram)

parallels or vmware fusion, either one worked just fine

the machine i was running this on was nothing impressive:

2ghz. macbook w/intel crap graphics, 2gb ram

i was using windows xp running in either virtual machine software

bootcamp is an option, but the client software really doesn't require THAT much horsepower

it was perfectly acceptable running in a virtual machine for me, we have 4 systems of 16 cameras a piece that i was connecting to with only slight delays

That is fine for you but as a eyemax dealer I can not offer maybe might slight I can only offer the same support as the factory. If you take you chevy car modify it and put in ford parts you are on your own. That risk I will not take but you can make all the moves you want but you will not get tech support. I build our EYEMAX DVR's and provide tech support to my customers which most of the time consists of cleaning and helping customers save and burn video I have very few hardware issuses due to following set hardware rules and not changing from my ways.