TDS

DOOR CAMERA MULTIPLE APARTMENTS

Hi there,

I'm Wiring up a house with 3 separate apartments. I'm using Aiphone LEf's for the intercoms and doors but want to have a dedicated/isolated camera at the door. I'm going to go with a 3.7mm dome,

Now my question is... how do I go about feeding/splitting this video to 3 separate monitors in the apartments?

Best way

- split the camera signal with a video splitter, one for you and one for the apartment. there are 12vdc video splitters available which enables you to power off of your camera power supply. Run the apartment cable to the apartment TV wall plate(s). Renter can connect to video input of TV's. That keeps you out of the monitor business

Ok way

- provide a wirelss link for all your apartments and give each apartment a login & pass for that door and/or cameras you want them to view. Then they can use thier PC's to view. This puts you in the ISP business

Make sure you have a liability clause in your contract......because if it's broke and is not fixed your are liable unless you say otherwise. ie. CCTV is provided "free" and provides additional security when working. landlord is not responsible for rentors personal property and/or physical security.

I don't deal a lot with AiPhone other than the odd LEF-3/LEF-10/LE-D pump intercom setups at some gas stations... but it seems to me AiPhone does have a "video enterphone" product that combines the video camera right into the front-door intercom, and a viewing screen on the apartment end. Why not ask your AiPhone rep or supplier what solutions they have?

A video splitter will require a separate connection to each TV. May be good in a (small) single residence, but can be a hassle with multiple apartments/TV's.

Use a video modulator. Camera plugs in to modulator, modulator plugs in-line with the buildings CATV circuit. Program/Assign an unused channel (e.g. 73). Intercom rings, client switches TV to Ch. 73. A decent modulator should be around $100.

The Aiphone door-entry stuff will work, also...but it ain't cheap.

What is simpler than a video modulator? A video splitter will require an additional cable run to EACH television. A modulator will feed any TV already connected to the CATV system.

A video splitter will require a separate connection to each TV. May be good in a (small) single residence, but can be a hassle with multiple apartments/TV's.

Use a video modulator. Camera plugs in to modulator, modulator plugs in-line with the buildings CATV circuit. Program/Assign an unused channel (e.g. 73). Intercom rings, client switches TV to Ch. 73. A decent modulator should be around $100.

The Aiphone door-entry stuff will work, also...but it ain't cheap.

I agree. Just make sure you use a filter to scrub off any unwanted signals off the piggy backed CATV. Just because you can't see a picture on a CATV channel, doesn't mean there isn't a signal that needs to be filtered. Also be careful not to block desired communication for digital cable boxes or ISP.

or a wireless IP camera and antenna

Hmm...I could see it now:

At door: Knock, knock.

Tenant: Hold on a minute...I have to boot my computer up and log-in to the IP cam to see who you are!

At door: Knock, knock, knock, knock.

Tenant: WAIT A MINUTE! My boot drive is corrupted. I have to do a back-up/restore before I can log-in to the IP cam to see who you are!

For one thing you cant split video,you can distribute video using a DA. I would use the Aiphone intercom with built in camera and install stations in each apartment.

[/u]