MrSing

Cleaning Spectra 3 Dome

I have a Spectra 3 camera with a tinted glass dome. I may have gotten some grease on the inside of the dome. I have cleaned it with alcohol, glass cleaner, and soapy water. I still cannot get a clear image in the sunlight.

I was thinking if trying something like rain-x. Anyone have any better suggestions let me know.

Thanks

Sing

Try regular dish soap - "cuts through grease" and all that. I usually keep a pack of Windex wipes or similar sort of glass-cleaner wipes onboard.

One thing I've found though, some kinds of plastic domes, particularly Lexan, tend to absorb grease if it's left on for a long time. One restaurant we do, the kitchen grease that had coated the Extreme domes over time was left there for months, maybe years, and there was NO getting it out again.

If you look at the dome it looks perfectly clear. When the sunlight hits it you see the remnants of the cleaning solution that you used. Just like if you clean your car window with and it gets hit by headlight. Maybe I will take the dome down and flush it with water after cleaning.

Sing

You might try Pelco's recommendation:

"Exterior Surface - Clean the dome’s exterior surface with a nonabrasive cleaning cloth and cleaning agent that is safe for acrylic plastic. Either liquid or spray cleaner/wax suitable for fine furniture is acceptable.

Interior Surface (Except Chrome or Gold) - Clean the same as the exterior surface."

ftp://ftp.pelco.com/ServiceBulletinsTechTips/TechTips/5973020.PDF

Well after trying a number of different remedies, I have come to the conclusion that is the dome that is actually screwed up.

I guess this is what I get for buying stuff on e-bay. Have to find an after market replacement.

Sing

Is the back box in-ceiling, pendant or surface mount? The bubble itself is around $40. I can get you a Pelco part number on Monday.