WrightSG

4CH MPEG4 DVR Question

Hi There,

I am a bit of a noob to DVRs and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

I have a model HDR-04DE 4 Channel Mpeg4 DVR device and would like to know what my options are for storing the video capture.

I understand that i can put a sata disk into the device and was wondering how the data is stored and whether i can read the data from this disk in Windows (if i ever took the disk out of the machine). Do you know what file system the disk would have?

I have also noticed that there is an ethernet connection on the device, which would lead me to believe that i could also use networked storage. Is this correct?

I have tried to read the manual for the device, but it is a bit unfriendly to say the least! Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance

I don't know this machine specifically, but in general, I'd say it's likely not possible to read the disk in Windows - most standalone machines use some form of Linux as an embedded operating system and would thus most likely use the ext3 filesystem.

The ethernet port is not for network storage, it's for remote viewing... most systems support both web-based viewing and a remote client application.

Re: Storage: My understanding is that the captured DVR video data can sometimes be stored on an offsite (or onsite) server, in some cases via FTP.

Obviously that data would be sent over a network via the network jack (Ethernet Port).