sequoia

Night camera points directly at bright light. What to do?

I have a nighttime camera that points almost directly at a very bright light.

I can't reposition it as I need this particular view for daytime coverage, and the bright light definitely degrades the image quality during the night.

The camera is currently a Speco intensifier series camera.

The light source is housed by glass on all sides, and I could potentially "black out" a small section of glass directly in line with the camera's view.

Outside of this are there any other techniques I should try? And would a different camera lessen the degradation from the light source?

Hello,

The light source is housed by glass on all sides, and I could potentially "black out" a small section of glass directly in line with the camera's view.

Well, if You can try this solution - do it. Maybe it could help.

Outside of this are there any other techniques I should try? And would a different camera lessen the degradation from the light source?

In my opinion You should try a camera with a HLC (Highlight compensation) function.

For example Samsung SHC-735.

Regards.

A WDR type camera would help (the Samsung mentioned above is a good one, but a box style camera that would need a housing), if you need a dome type camera, I would suggest the new Panasonic WV-CW504S or the slightly older WV-CW484S. Both are excellent dome type cameras, well regarded by me and many others here, that deal with wide lighting variations well. The Speco intensifiers have a good daytime image, but they are somewhat handicapped at night by the slow shutter that causes blurring on moving objects.

I can already imagine the hoots and laughs I'm going to get on my

response, from the other guys (and gals?), but here goes anyway.

Been doing this for years, and have a few tricks, some techy, some so

barbaric it's shocking that they work.

From the post - you already have a camera (apparently stuck with) and

you want to resolve the light problem.

If the camera is they type that you can slide the camera lens back from

the front glass just a tiny bit, you can go get a pair of decent sunglasses

(the kind that automatically adjust with light difference). Then take out

one lens and cut it down precisely (dremel, etc) to fit just over the lens.

Fix it over the lens (don't slop glue or something on it). Without seeing the

camera I can't tell you how to do it on that model. Do not cover the IR

leds or they will be defeated.

You will now have an automatically adjusting lens that corrects for bright

light hitting it. Barbaric, I know, but it actually works.

Check the glasses first with your eyes before bothering to cut the lenses.

If the glasses don't adjust well enough when you test them with your eyes

first, they won't on the camera either.

I used this trick on a store not long ago that had bright florescent lights in

the path (cooler doors) that couldn't be simply avoided by the cameras

due to the store setup. Owner was too tight to spring for better cams.

This was done on a dome camera that was adjustable.

Surprisingly, it worked like a charm !

Sometimes thinking way out of the box works.

Let me know if it works for you.

You could try a polarizing filter from the local camera store, might be hard to find one to fit that camera though, but as mentioned in a post above could get it cut to shape (local glass store), or they sell many different sizes on some online camera stores. Other than that a decent professional camera with good light handling or a WDR camera. From the sounds of the camera you are using, which it seems uses DSS, it sounds like it has poor light handling (never used it so dont hold me to that!) as most Bullet cameras do, and many domes do also. If you arent using the IR, like its not pitch dark, then you can also get a couple other filters like an IR cut filter and try those instead.

Check the settings on the camera, turn OFF anything like AGC or SAGC. If it has a setting for back lighting, try it with it on and off. Have you tried adjusting these at night or was it just in the day?

What model camera is it? Need the specs to really be able to tell if you might be able to get more out of just a better similar style camera. Bullet cameras do suck though when it comes to dealing with bright lights.

The Panos ofcourse would fix the problem (as best you will find) but at a very big cost $$$

You could also take a look at a WDR bullet, KT&C makes one though I wont vouch for it as Ive never used it.