VIP

Flexible camera mount?

I need to install a bullet camera in an operating room over the table. The doc's need to be able to move the camera around during the surgery in order to record the "action".

I've seen a flexible nylon mount in the past, which looks like a bunch of balls attached together. You can move the mount in any direction. I just can't seem to find where to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Search for Gorillapod.

I'm not allowed to Post links yet

I saw the Gorillapod, but that is more for video/still cameras used in taking pics/movies...it's a tri-pod for tabletop and other uses.

I'm looking for a single flexible permanent-mount arm that would extend from the ceiling grid and enable the surgeon to position the camera anywhere he wanted.

Wonder if you could get an articulated-arm desk lamp and modify it to suit the purpose? Something along these lines:

Tolomeo.jpg

l_LUCFORTEBRACCIOTABLE.jpg

Could even find a used/junked one where the lamp itself doesn't work, and just salvage the arm.

This is the same type of mount used for a typical surgical lamp, I believe.

Well, Soundy...I like how you think (I'm always looking for ways to recycle stuff in interesting ways), but I'm not about to install an old desk-lamp in a modern-day operating room. Budget is unlimited (Dr. had me install 3 x 42" HD Panasonics just for endoscopy).

I need a flexible mount, kind of like used on the microphones at some fast-food places or speaker daises.

Okay, so go with the NEW desk lamp

Anyway, I'm just thinking that an articulated arm like that would be more effective - the thing I've generally found with goosenecks (having spent many years as a live-sound engineer and dealt with goodeneck mic stands regularly) is that they're either really stiff and hard to move, or if they're easy to move, they tend to be so weak and soft that they don't stay put, or at least bounce and shift a lot after you've moved them.

A good arm with properly loaded and balanced springs and well-designed joints (Teflon washers, etc.) would probably hold the camera a lot steadier while being far easier to move and position.

If budget is no object, you could probably even look into something custom-built... like I say, it's the same type of arm often used for surgical lights, so maybe a manufacturer of those would be interested in helping out.

We have used short audio microphone goosenecks for this purpouse. They are stong enough for a compact camera, and we haven't had problems with wear or looseness. The threaded ends can be fited with standard or made-to-order support plates for the camera itself.

Search for "Profile MCG08 Microphone Accessories" in Amazon, it's really inexpensive (about $10 US) so you can have one or two spares just in case.

get yourself something made up yourself, make sure it's robust, durable and Stainless Steel... hide the cables also...

My cousin designed a bed for surgical use, he now supplies nearly 5% of the worlds hospitals and emergency services, and although he isn't 'loaded' he makes a comfortable living 'on the phone' in a nice office with very little work!

If you want me to design something and manufacture it I want 49% of your business...let me know what you think!

G'luck.