MacUser

iPhone app quick review for MAC users

Being a MAC dweeb I've been playing with apps for remote viewing on my iPhone 3G. Here's my suggestion for MAC users who run SecuritySpy. I know there's probably not many MAC people here, but hopefully this helps someone, and you save a few bucks too.

I haven't tried or talked to anyone who can use these apps for Windows based systems.

Remote Patrol ($9.99); hands down winner! You can view multiple cameras, landscape, multiple servers. I'm overseas with crap internet service and have no problem viewing all my house cameras from here. Viewing images AND video possible but only recorded in MPEG4, H.264 unsupported at this time. Setup is easy. Haven't had a problem yet and well worth the 10 bucks. The ONLY app I would recommend, don't waste your money on the others.

Cam Viewer ($4.99); they tried to do what Remote Patrol has done and failed. Pictures take forever to load, crashes all the time, etc. Each camera set up individually, a real pain even with cut-paste.

CamView for SecuritySpy ($6.99); from the same maker as Cam View, another failure as you are limited to 6 cameras, takes forever to load images if at all. Setup is easier, 1 screen rather than 1 for each camera. If you have more than 6 cameras you can't choose which ones to view.

eyeCam ($4.99); not bad but slow loading images. It's like using the Weather app but with cameras. Kind of a pain to set up unless you want just a single static image, you have to enter a long command to stream images.

Hi Scorpion,

I'm running 12 hard wired cameras, and one wireless IP camera. Using a MacPro running the SecuritySpy program.

I've seen a bunch of other camera apps on the iTunes store, however I'm not running any DVR or Windows based program so I have no way to test those.

Just figured there might be at least 1 other Mac dweeb out there somewhere