sacedog

Need Help with Camera Placement

I've been given the opportunity to upgrade our current surveillance system, and was looking for some help with camera locations.

Here is our current office layout and camera placement (note...first time poster, so I could not post the actual link; just copy and paste and remove the space before the com):

i258.photobucket. com/albums/hh257/brytonic/Floorplan.gif

We currently have 6 cameras; one pointed at each exit to the suite, and one in our server room. You can see these in the picture, representated by the triangles pointed in the direction that they face. All of the cameras have a pretty narrow field of view (but will probably be replaced with better cameras anyway). We would like to have more visability within the suite, to see what is going on in the case of unauthorized visitors or a break-in.

The cubicle partitions are all 6' tall, and the ceilings are 10' tall. Standing on a filing cabinet, and getting my head to the ceiling, I have pretty good visibility over the cubicles. The areas in yellow are open area within the suite, while the areas in pink are hard-walled spaces (offices, conf. rooms, break room). The exterior walls are all floor to ceiling windows. The building is fairly new, and has 24/7 emergency lighting, so the interior of the suite stays pretty well lit even at night.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should place them where it is important to place them.

I say that a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's an accurate statement.

Anyone who can put cameras onto a layout without understanding the complexities of your workflow, organization, high risk / high value items within your building, and other important things that you simply can't see on a floorplan... has special abilities.

I can say nothing intelligent about camera placement without understanding what goes on there.

I think that you are more qualified to answer your own question at this point than any of us are.

Field of view is a sensor size and lens focal length issue. There are plenty of calculators that can help you figure out what type of lens to get for the cameras you're interested in.

As far as placement - I really think you're better qualified to answer that than any us at this point. All we can possibly see is walls and doors at this point. Design for protection fo assets can't happen in a vacuum. At least - it can't happen well.