blake

Mounting camera under soffit using 2x4 best method?

I did my last surface-mount dome almost the same way. Mine didn't have anything underneath that soffit vent... so I had to cut some 2x4s and space them about an inch apart for the wiring:

110784_1.jpg

Ouch! That twist-on BNC looks deadly!

I did my last surface-mount dome almost the same way. Mine didn't have anything underneath that soffit vent... so I had to cut some 2x4s and space them about an inch apart for the wiring:

110784_1.jpg

Lots of lil scraglies .

110784_1.jpg

Lots of lil scraglies .

He did a super job with the install, but I would rather wrestle a porcupine than handle that BNC!!! I'm not busting on you Sawbones but it is a pet peeve of mine.

Yes he did.I'm just bustin chops.I can't wait to get my cameras up..Looking forward to the install and setup.

Here ya go, Rory... Some more pictures for ya. I got one of my Panasonic 484 domes installed. I took some pictures of the installation, since it probably will help out another person here who, like me, has never done it before and is wondering how. I will post all of the images of the installation in the 'Security Cameras' sub forum. This image makes it easier to see the gap that I was talking about between the soffit panels and the wooden eave. The vinyl soffit panels we pretty easy to pull out.

Cool. I guess my next question is, whats the point of the soffit?

Yeah left out all the ground ... could cause problems especially if it starts to corrode, plus it could mean its not on tight and might get knocked off in future maintenance.

Cool. I guess my next question is, whats the point of the soffit?

Typically they are used to allow for and create positive, upward air flow from a lower location (as in relation to the roof), to the top of the roof. This allows hotter (and humid) air to exit the roof through a ridge vent. People often times DEFEAT this simple (hot air rises) system by insulating their attack joists, running the insulation all the way out to the soffit. This of course defeats the purpose, and no longer allows hot air to circulate and leave via the ridge vent. It helps keep your attic, roof, and shingles cooler in most cases.

Had quite a few pics of this, but I cannot post pics or links.

110784_1.jpg

Lots of lil scraglies .

He did a super job with the install, but I would rather wrestle a porcupine than handle that BNC!!! I'm not busting on you Sawbones but it is a pet peeve of mine.

Man... tough crowd here.

Yes, that particular BNC connector is a little big-and-ugly, and doesn't make corners very easily, but it was the only kind I had on hand when I did that camera.

Edit:

I actually trimmed and taped that connector before finishing the install. I'm a great believer in electrical tape.

Can you cut a hole in the Aluminum Soffit the size of the Camera Mounting Bracket using Tin Snips? Then you could drill the Camera Mounting Bracket directly to the wood on the soffit.

I was gonna try this....

1st use a template to draw the shape of the mounting bracket on the soffit.

2nd drill hole in center.

3rd use tin snips to cut around drawing outline.

4th Insert Camera Mounting Bracket into hole and drill to wood on soffit.

5th caulk around Mounting Bracket if you could for weather proofing.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea and if not why it wouldn't work?