gdome

DVR problems so considering Geovision and Active Webcam

I currently am using a single chip DVR card running through pysoft Active Webcam software in a Windows XP media centre and wish to upgrade.

I had bought a 4 ch 4 chip DVR card Techwell 6802 card H.264, but, the drivers load the card as HV 4000 xxxxxx and the card does not appear in Active Webcam or AMCap. Reading the posts on this website, I would guess that the card is a clone and probably junk, but, I would welcome your thoughts before I bin it.

If it is junk as I suspect, I am considering the GV-800 as a replacement and had a couple of questions before I purchase as I want to ensure compatibility with my machine. I would like to retain Active Webcam as it is very useful and I am familiar with the product.

If anyone is able to confirm that you Geovision GV-800 product would be compatible and should not conflict with the Haupauge card installed and whether the product can work with Active Webcam, it would be greatly appreciated. I have included the spec of the machine it will run off at the bottom of this post. If there is any other information I should provide to help in determining the above, just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

System specification

Windows XP 2002 Media Centre Edition

Intel Pentium 3.2ghz

Motherboard ASUS PTGD1-LA

CPU Socket LGA775

Chipset Northbridge Intel i915P graphics controller hub

Haupaugge TV Tuner Card 26XX

From my experience, you will not be able to get to work a card with TW6802 chips with Active Webcam. You will have to use the drivers and software that came included with the card.

If like Active Webcam and wish to keep using it, you should find yourself a DVR card with 4ch 100fps with 4 BT878 chips. It is not an expensive card, and you will then be able for sure to stay with Active Webcam.

Mindtwist, thanks for your response - really helpful. I will look to see if I can find a 4 ch BT878 card. I realise that posting twice was a pain. I wanted to start a separate thread and so should have removed the response on the other thread - just was not sure how to (new to forums, but, will get the hang of it). It is great that there are such forums where experienced users are able to share their views and I just wish that I had come across this before buying the other card. I don't suppose anyone has any use for a TW6802 card and would like to swap or part-swap for a BT878 card?

I assume that any 4ch BT878 card would suffice, or, are there ones to steer clear of? I also assume that as my single chip BT878 card did not conflict with my Hauppauge Tuner card that I should be safe with a BT878 4 chip card also? I will finally get my system working with Active Webcam and more than 1 camera with sound which will be great.

If there are any other thoughts on what I should look out for, they would be greatly appreciated. Likewise, if people think that I could get a better system together if i were not to keep persisting with Active Webcam, please let me know.

Ultimately, I am hoping to have at least 2 cameras running with Audio through Active Webcam previewing and recording at 25fps.

Ta to you all.

I would never advise you tu use any TV Tuner card on the same computer you plan to use for CCTV/with BTWinCap drivers, but if you have been lucky so far, you might give it a try. I have seen many TV tuner cards give problems with any DVR card (BT878 or otherwise), and I would never advise anyone to use a personal use computer as a CCTV system, and my guess is that if you use a TV tuner on that computer, it is a personal use computer.

One 4ch BT878 card I can tell you will work with no problems with BTWinCap and Active Webcam is this one, I know it by model name AOP-416.

http://www.riseie.com/cam/AOP-416.htm

MindTwist:

I clicked on your link to the site containing the info. about the

AOP-416 card, and Avira Antivir Personal warned me that it contained infected content.

From Avira's logs:

Virus or unwanted program 'HTML/PicFrame.Gen [virus]'

detected in file 'C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q3tz2ve1.default\Cache\514B5910d01.

Action performed: Deny access

detected in file 'C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q3tz2ve1.default\Cache\D20B3D9Fd01.

Action performed: Deny access

detected in file 'C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q3tz2ve1.default\Cache\639F378Dd01.

Please note that "MyUserName" is just a generic name I inserted to protect the innocent (me)!

Don't know for sure if these files contain that virus, but I ain't stickin' around to find out.

HogWild

Sounds like there is something wrong with that antivirus program.

I scanned all the images on that page and found no infections. I also checked them myself and only found traces of photoshop info there. There are no executables on that page either, actually it is missing alot of files. What browser are you using?

also for what its worth, i was able to get the GeoVision GV-250 card to work with the BT878 drivers, was no easy task though. I demoed it in luxriot, but only ever had 1 of the 2 channels working. It was rather pointless though, as Geo has its own software that comes with it

MindTwist:

I clicked on your link to the site containing the info. about the

AOP-416 card, and Avira Antivir Personal warned me that it contained infected content.

From what I know there's nothing wrong on that web page, but I just intented to point you to the picture, that is the exact same card I have used with BTWinCap+Active Webcam with no problems, I know it by model name "AOP-416":

http://www.riseie.com/cam/aop-416-1.jpg