bpzle

IP Camera Decoders

I was wondering if you guys had experience with and could recommend any IP camera decoders for viewing one or more IP cameras directly on a monitor.

I'm looking for the IP equivalent of an analog multiplexer to display on multiple TVs, preferably high def.

What is the largest amount of channels you've seen displayed at one time by a single decoder? Is it possible to get up to 16? Does this compromise your LAN bandwidth? Does it affect your NVR's ability to record normally? Are there compatibility issues with IP cameras like there are the NVRs?

I know many NVRs have analog spot outs, but I'd prefer a multiplexer style picture. I'm also aware of NVRs being able to support multiple monitors, but I'd prefer to not have to extend the VGA cable or worry about the picture changing when someone uses the server.

Acti makes a decoder, but again, it is brand-specific, and only one cam output.

Your best bet is probably to run a small (mini-itx style) PC running client software. You can do some scripting to make sure the client auto runs on startup, and has the proper display configuration.

Thewireguys and I both seem to be partial to Exacq, and you could run the client on a pretty small Linux box in that instance.

Your best bet is probably to run a small (mini-itx style) PC running client software. You can do some scripting to make sure the client auto runs on startup, and has the proper display configuration.

Thewireguys and I both seem to be partial to Exacq, and you could run the client on a pretty small Linux box in that instance.

I was afraid of that answer. I was just hoping for a better streamlined option for displaying matrix video on TVs or monitors. This used to be pretty easy and common for analog cameras.

I think I'll probably end up getting a cheap desktop for the sole purpose of distributing it's VGA output of the client software.

I don't have any specific requirements at the moment, just thinking of future design ideas for customers. I have a feeling this will be a feature requested in the near future.

Just finished up an install using Exacq with a spot monitor. Used an old dell the customer had for the spot monitor. All the customer has to do is press power to turn the box and then press power to turn it off at the end of the day.

I know many NVRs have analog spot outs, but I'd prefer a multiplexer style picture.

Vigil and Video Insight systems using newer capture cards (XECAP line for Vigil, VJ-series for VI, although both are essentially the same hardware) have both a switched-analog spot out, and a software-multiplexor spot output. I don't know about the VI software, but Vigil supports split-screen display of mixed analog and IP cameras on the software-MUX output.

I'm also aware of NVRs being able to support multiple monitors, but I'd prefer to not have to extend the VGA cable or worry about the picture changing when someone uses the server.

CAMACC/3xLogic make a product (Vigil HD Viewer) that works alongside their Vigil DVRs (although it also works independent of the DVR) that will generate split-screen views of IP cameras to multiple video heads *completely independent of the desktop display*. We've put in systems with three video cards running a desktop display in the office, plus split-screen outputs to four other VGA monitors using this system. VGA baluns allow the runs to be extended easily via Cat5e.

The main benefit of this setup is that you're not limited to 480i analog video resolution, which usually looks terrible on LCD monitors - megapixel cameras can be displayed much more cleanly on 24" monitors at 1600x1024

Yes, the AXIS is a nice product.

You may be able to get away with using something like the IQ EYE multi screen display from a computer, but you'd still have to convert to analog with a VGA to analog converter or something similiar.

I know many NVRs have analog spot outs, but I'd prefer a multiplexer style picture.

Vigil and Video Insight systems using newer capture cards (XECAP line for Vigil, VJ-series for VI, although both are essentially the same hardware) have both a switched-analog spot out, and a software-multiplexor spot output. I don't know about the VI software, but Vigil supports split-screen display of mixed analog and IP cameras on the software-MUX output.

I'm also aware of NVRs being able to support multiple monitors, but I'd prefer to not have to extend the VGA cable or worry about the picture changing when someone uses the server.

CAMACC/3xLogic make a product (Vigil HD Viewer) that works alongside their Vigil DVRs (although it also works independent of the DVR) that will generate split-screen views of IP cameras to multiple video heads *completely independent of the desktop display*. We've put in systems with three video cards running a desktop display in the office, plus split-screen outputs to four other VGA monitors using this system. VGA baluns allow the runs to be extended easily via Cat5e.

The main benefit of this setup is that you're not limited to 480i analog video resolution, which usually looks terrible on LCD monitors - megapixel cameras can be displayed much more cleanly on 24" monitors at 1600x1024

This sounds more like the solution I was looking for. Now if I can just score a client that can afford Vigil!