3RDIGLBL

ACTi ACM-7411 Power Question

We are writing those manuals and support packages. In official documents, there cannot be risks taken. The reason why PoE support is not listed for fan/heater mode is the concern that for PoE class 3 rated Switches do not always produce 15.4W. Some of them perform as low as 7W in reality, regardless of spec.

Since ACM-7411 requires actual 13.2W to work (among which heaters 3W and 9W), the margin is too small to risk with announcing PoE support.

Last couple of days I have spent quite much time talking to the engineers who actually built that camera, to get some insights.

I asked them if it was possible to disable the 3W primary heater, and only let the 9W heater work, which would then be safe enough for PoE, but they said unfortunately there is no way to disable it without rebuilding the camera.

All I can recommend is - try with a industrial PoE switch if you have one in hand. If it works even below -10C, then you have found your solution. If not, use an adapter instead.

Please give my warm greetings to Dave. I have not met him personally yet because he is in US branch while I am in Taipei. The whole US team is very strong - every sales team member is very good at technical details and solutions.

soooooo, if the switch can provide the required voltage it will run fine? I say YES............

and, if using the 12vdc brick supplied, can you use a simple PoE injector? I say YES..........

I was also told by Chad C at ACTi who is the U.S. Director that the low temp heater (2nd stage heater) will not operate over POE. A separate power source is required for low temp.

It would, however, be a great idea to disable the stage one heater to lower the required amperage during low temp operation. Maybe in a second release of the camera?!?

The overall process could be improved to provide software selection of these functions based on install conditions....that would be nice.

so, what happens when the camera is PoE and it goes to -11? does the camera "click" go off because you don't have a 12vdc connected or will it just ignor the call for more heat?

The overall process could be improved to provide software selection of these functions based on install conditions....that would be nice.

so, what happens when the camera is PoE and it goes to -11? does the camera "click" go off because you don't have a 12vdc connected or will it just ignor the call for more heat?

From what I was told and understand if your powered with POE and it gets cold enough to turn on the extra heater the camera will still work but the heater will not turn on.

I thought there was 2 different power supply's one for the camera and small heater then a different power supply for the extra heater. But now I am not sure what will happen with the camera when it gets cold enough for the extra heater.

Does the camera call for more power from the POE switch and if it can't provide it what does it do?

a) keep running with out extra heater

b) shut the whole camera down because there isn't enough power from the switch

I trust ACTIs manual but they don't say what happens when this scenario happens.

Another reason why I don't trust a thing a manufacture says until I prove it.

I am not gonna be a happy camper if I have to climb up some poles to add a second power supply to the camera if it shuts off.

I am not gonna be a happy camper if I have to climb up some poles to add a second power supply to the camera if it shuts off.

DITTO

Especially when it is negative digits during a snow storm with a few feet of snow and ice under my ladder GRRRRRRRRR

I was also told by Chad C at ACTi who is the U.S. Director that the low temp heater (2nd stage heater) will not operate over POE. A separate power source is required for low temp.

It would, however, be a great idea to disable the stage one heater to lower the required amperage during low temp operation. Maybe in a second release of the camera?!?

Good idea. I will make this proposal in our PD.

DITTO

Especially when it is negative digits during a snow storm with a few feet of snow and ice under my ladder GRRRRRRRRR

For that reason, ACTi does not officially encourage using PoE for very cold environment. Because we don't want you to climb the poles in the snow storm.

However, this discussion is very useful - we learn more about the camera and prepare proposals for camera enhancement.