simyf

CCTV solutions for Petrolchemical Industry

anyone can advise me the cctv solutions for Petrolchemical industry. Like cctv cable, camera, dvr system and other to be used in Petrolchemical environment.

any url link can refer the special coaxial cable to be used for such environemt? Pls advise. Thks

I dont think its so much the cable, as it is the conduit used to protect the cable from sparks, etc.

I would email Extreme CCTV, just let them know you are interested in their Explosion Proof cameras, what application it is for, and what conduit/cables, etc, they recommend to go along with the cameras.

Rory

ok, what good are the "explosion proof" camera's AFTER the explosion? I'd think that the money should be spent on an off-site video storage device, a NAT drive, would be more useful? Of course that means a PC Based system would be requred. Just asking Rory.

Well, they arent Explosion Proof per say.

What they mean is that they are designed to prevent the chance of an explosion such as from sparks or such.

They will not survive an explosion!

Anything that you intend using in a petrochemical plant will need to be "intrinsically safe" & have the certificates to prove it.

Best bet is to do whatRory suggests & speak to Extreme, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

An explosion proof camera housing is one that is robust enough to contain an explosion from within - when the hot gasses produced from the explosion reach the outside of the housing through conduit entry threads, they are cool enough not to cause the external atmoshphere to explode - but the camera is toast.

Intrinsically safe means that after taking resistance, capacitance, voltage into account that there is not enough energy anywhere in the system that would cause a spark of sufficient energy to ignite the atmosphere. You need to look at camera, cable and barrier.

I got around a ProfiBus problem once by getting the 485 cable wrapped with steel wire at a cable maker - in this instance the cable was not intrinsically safe but was considered physically strong enough to remain intact if crushed. It was then suitable for use in a refineray.

Regards:

Dave

Hi, this thread has prompted my joining the forum and an immediate firt post, basically because I have worked on CCTV (amongst many other things) in the petrochemical industry for around 16 years. Theres a lot of good information above, but not all 100% accurate.

Firstly, I dont like the phrase, Explosion Proof. As already explained (kind of) equipment (any electrical equipment) used in a "hazardous" area needs to be fitted in a correctly certified ensclosure. Invariably the enclosure will prevent any flame inside an enclosure from travelling outside and igniting the surrounding atmosphere. There are various types of protection such as Exe (Increased Safety), Exd (Flameproof) and so on - quite a few more.

However, hazardous areas in the petrochemical industry are usually "Zoned", Zone0 - Explosive atmosphere continiously present for long periods, Zone1 - Where explosive gas/air mixture is likely to occur during normal operations and Zone2 - Gas/Air mixture less likely to occur and only for short periods. Other areas like inside pressurised accomodation may not be zoned and can use any equipment.

You can only use certain protection in some areas, so Zone0 MUST be ia (Instrinsically Safe) or Exs (Special apparatus certified for zone 0)...ONLY

Zone1 - Anything from Zone0 + Exd, Exib, Exp, Exe, Exs - ONLY

Zone2 - Anything from above plus - Exn, ExO and Exq - ONLY

So you need to know the zone classification for the equipment being installed, though most kit is installed assuming Zone 1 unless you are sepcifically told it is zone0

Getting a certified box/enclosure is one thing, but you must be aware of how much free space you are allowed to leave inside, then you must use correctly certified glands for cable entries into the enclosure - so an Exd enclosure must use Exd certified glands!

Cables are usually armoured, they must be correctly glanded to stop them blowing out if an explosion occurs inside the box....

Anyway, you get the picture, there is a lot to using electrical equipment in hazardous areas. The offshore industry as far as I am aware will not let you fit this kit unless you have been on an Eex course - think Abtex in Aberdeen do them amongst others - just getting an Exd box and stuffing a camera in with armoured cable is not enough! I believe this lot applies to other industries too, such as mining (which I believe brought about the Ex rating system via cenelec??), and explosive atmospheres does not just mean gas either, dust filled areas can be explosive too.

Oh, yeah - then you got to get the IP rating of the equipment right, you need to know what kind of gasses may be present so that you can get your Gas Grouping and Temperature Classification right on your equipment certification. Use a piece of T1 temnperature rated equipment where Ethylene is present and you have a problem!!

Seriously, if your getting into hazardous area equipment - do the course! It may have changed slightly since I did it since ATEX came along, but not by much.

If anyone wants any more information, then direct mail me at:

Gary

dot walker@ntlworld.com

Just out of interest, Coex seem to be the biggest petrochemical cctv company I have encountered, http://www.coex.ltd.uk/

Oh, and this is based on my experience in the UK/Europe - other countries regions may have different regulations.

Cheers,

Gary

www.abidale.com