alpine0000

Panasonic WV-CW484 Dome vs Cheap LTC Dome w/ 36 IR LED's

Here is a live screen shot from both cameras taken at the exact same time, looking at my back door. The room is completely pitch black.

The cheap LTC camera (left) has 36 IR LED's lighting up the room. The Panasonic camera (right) is just using the IR from the cheap LTC camera.

Here are the two cameras:

110206_1.jpg110206_2.jpg

Notice the clarity of the blinds, the plant, and the wall on the left side of the picture. The wall appears grainy to the cheap LTC camera, and smooth to the Panasonic.

During the day time, the light coming in from the back door completely blinds the LTC camera, but the Panasonic deals with it very nicely. (I will try to post a screen shot of that tomorrow afternoon)

I bought two Panasonic domes (thanks WDRJack!) for the exterior of my house and was just testing them out tonight, playing around with them. Man, I'm spoiled now... I think I want some more for the inside of my house, and maybe just wire up a seperate IR illuminator.

110206_3.jpg

Thanks for posting these comparison images. The Panasonic looks like a sweet camera. When testing cameras with no motion, make sure the shutter speed is apples to apples. I'm sure the settings on the Pana are fine, but make sure nonetheless.

FWIW, my Axis 223 looks fantastic with a 2 second shutter speed. That is, if the burglar stands perfectly still for a while.

Best,

Christopher

Cool. Testing is fun hey (too many wasps outside for me these days though)

and you guys get everything so cheap over there in America.

@cglaeser doubtful that the shutter is manually adjustable on either camera.

@ alpine typically a box camera will be even better and a lower cost.

also for what its worth LTC cameras are typically the rock bottom of cameras, just saying

The Panasonic looks like a sweet camera. When testing cameras with no motion, make sure the shutter speed is apples to apples.

Yes, I think it's very sweet. I am happy with how good that Panasonic picture is at night using IR. In the screenshot, that room is completely pitch black. I couldn't see a thing.

Not sure about the Panasonic, but I know that the LTC camera doesn't have adjustable shutter speed, nor do I know what the shutter speed is on it.

also for what its worth LTC cameras are typically the rock bottom of cameras, just saying

Yea, I want some of the Panasonic 484 box cameras, but for my application the domes work better. I have an inexpensive D/N box camera and it works really well, too!

As far as LTC... you get what you pay for, but it serves its purpose and I was aware of that when I bought it , and I am still fine with them considering they cost 20% of what the panasonic domes cost I wasn't planning on getting the 484 domes, but I saw too good of a deal to pass up in the classified section here. I was going to wait for a bit and get the new SD5 Panasonic domes. I am happy with these though.

This is actually just a hobby for me. I live a very safe area with very minimal crime. I have lived in my house since 1989 and never had a break in, nor do I feel like I have any threats. I am just having fun with electronics

In fact, I just googled my county to see what the crime rate was, and saw this on wikipedia:

"Fairfax was the first county to reach a six-figure median household income, and has the second-highest median household income of any jurisdiction in the United States after neighboring Loudoun County"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_County,_Virginia

Cool. Testing is fun hey (too many wasps outside for me these days though)

and you guys get everything so cheap over there in America.

@cglaeser doubtful that the shutter is manually adjustable on either camera.

The Panasonic has a bunch of image settings available, shutter speed included.

The black and white setting menu also has a "Auto2" setting designed to detect IR light, and stay in B/W mode.

It also auto back focuses each time it switches between color and B/W to correct IR focus shift.

It is one of those "you get what you pay for" cameras, IMHO.

BTW, I just got in a few of the new WV-CW504S domes, look REALLY good so far. I'll post images when the install is done and I've got some good night shots for Rory...

BTW, I just got in a few of the new WV-CW504S domes, look REALLY good so far. I'll post images when the install is done and I've got some good night shots for Rory...

Yes, please post photos as soon as available. I'd like to pull the trigger on a WV-NW502S.

Best,

Christopher

The black and white setting menu also has a "Auto2" setting designed to detect IR light, and stay in B/W mode.

It also auto back focuses each time it switches between color and B/W to correct IR focus shift.

Hey, on a side note, maybe you can answer something for me: I discovered (while on a site, and only after several different calls to Panasonic tech support, argh!) that the CW484 disables SDIII when you plug into the service jack - drove me nuts trying to set it up when I couldn't access the main output connector. This is apparently a design decision, I can't even begin to fathom why.

Have they fixed this with the SD5s?? You're right, these Panasonics are definitely in the "you get what you pay for" category, but even then, there are still some little oddities to be aware of.

Hey, on a side note, maybe you can answer something for me: I discovered (while on a site, and only after several different calls to Panasonic tech support, argh!) that the CW484 disables SDIII when you plug into the service jack - drove me nuts trying to set it up when I couldn't access the main output connector. This is apparently a design decision, I can't even begin to fathom why.

Have they fixed this with the SD5s?? You're right, these Panasonics are definitely in the "you get what you pay for" category, but even then, there are still some little oddities to be aware of.

Honestly, I hadn't even noticed that on the 484.. I'll check it when I get a chance. BTW, the 504 comes with a inner liner cover aroud the cam module, so it has a clear dome and you still can't tell where the cam is pointed, should be good for half a F-stop or so compared to the smoked.

*edit* also, the 504 will recess into a single gang box for flush mounting.

cglaser, take a look here, http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17863&start=30 halfway down I have a couple of NP502 images. I'll post more soon.

Last night I saw the auto1 and auto2 on the menu. i was wondering what the difference was... thanks!

PLEASE DO! I would LOVE to see them! Can you honestly tell a picture quality difference between the 484 and the 504?

Well, wouldn't you know it... its rainy AND overcast outside, so I cant really test the cameras like I wanted to (facing my back patio door with very bright sun shining through). But here is a screenshot anyways.

Yesterday, when it was sunny, the LTC camera was totally blinded, and it was a big white blob where the back sliding door is. Today it isnt that bad, but you can still see the difference: The panasonic can actually see through the glass door, and see the deck outside. The LTC cannot. There are no lights turned on in my house. The room is lit up from sunlight only.

Also (and you cant notice it in this picture), but under certain lighting, the LTC colors are just washed out. For example, my hardwood floors show up a grayish color on the LTC, but the Panasonic shows them their true color, which is a deep, nice, brown color. Again though, not that noticable in this picture under these lighting conditions. The Panasonic reproduces colors very accurately. It's nice. Perhaps I'll post another screenshot when this rain goes away and the sun comes back out!

...Dont mind my poker table there

110272_1.jpg

yeah I just checked the menu setup didnt realise that it was there, typically only find that in Zoom CCTV cameras. Not something one wants to use for CCTV anyway.

yeah I just checked the menu setup didnt realise that it was there, typically only find that in Zoom CCTV cameras. Not something one wants to use for CCTV anyway.

What isn't? Shutter speed settings? Auto-backfocus? I can think of plenty of times I could have used either...

What isn't? Shutter speed settings? Auto-backfocus? I can think of plenty of times I could have used either...

Slow Shutter speed is USELESS for CCTV.

Yes, but having the ability to set the shutter speed isn't - not to set it at a low speed, but to lock it at a higher speed, even if it means underexposure. It's usually easier to pull details out of a dim, sharp image than from a bright, blurred one.

Edit: and by the same token, there may be instances where it's acceptable to sacrifice shutter speed for better exposure... not necessarily in "standard" CCTV applications like identifying people and vehicles, but in certain circumstances. The point is, it's ALWAYS useful to have more control over your camera's operation.

Yes, but having the ability to set the shutter speed isn't - not to set it at a low speed, but to lock it at a higher speed. It's usually easier to pull details out of a dim, sharp image than from a bright, blurred one.

Edit: and by the same token, there may be instances where it's acceptable to sacrifice shutter speed for better exposure... not necessarily in "standard" CCTV applications like identifying people and vehicles, but in certain circumstances. The point is, it's ALWAYS useful to have more control over your camera's operation.

i've never needed it. Shutter speed is not something I would ever have a need to manually adjust, and if I need lower light just buy the right camera the first time. Other things sure, Ive used box cameras for a decade. I mean one could argue that $150 Zoom cameras have all those settings also, those settings alone dont make it a better camera.

Edited by Guest

Just because YOU have never needed in the past, doesn't mean you won't find an instance where it's useful in the future, and certainly doesn't mean it's "useless" to everyone else.

Depends on the application. Snow and weather conditions at a ski resort are one such example.

Best,

Christopher

Depends on the application. Snow and weather conditions at a ski resort are one such example.

Best,

Christopher

How does that work?

Best,

Christopher

How does that work?

Well, the ski resorts around here have cameras mounted at the top of the mountain just to monitor snow conditions, and the probably dont care if the people skiing are a little blurry in the picture. I guess they use a slower lens, or slower shutter speed, but I dont know?

Best,

Christopher

How does that work?

Well, the ski resorts around here have cameras mounted at the top of the mountain just to monitor snow conditions, and the probably dont care if the people skiing are a little blurry in the picture. I guess they use a slower lens, or slower shutter speed, but I dont know?

If they want to see snow conditions at night, in the dark, then no, they wouldn't worry about a 2s shutter speed.

That Panasonic dome really shines at night. Here is a before-and-after shot. First pic is from an IR-equipped bullet cam... water spots on the lens, spider webs, etc.

110293_1.jpg

The second pic is from a Pano 484S dome, with a separate illuminator:

110293_2.jpg

How would that help?

Or does snow look better with a slower shutter?

Maybe they just have day night cameras? Maybe they have exview B/W with SDNR? Or maybe they are using a 1/2" EM-CCD or Thermal? Many other alternatives to slow shutter. Slow shutter = slow video. Eg. DSS was introduced as a cheap method of obtaining low light video, instead of using the right cameras which cost more money.

That Panasonic dome really shines at night. Here is a before-and-after shot. First pic is from an IR-equipped bullet cam... water spots on the lens, spider webs, etc.

The second pic is from a Pano 484S dome, with a separate illuminator:

all Day Night cameras (bullets included) are supposed to look at least as good as that second image, there is nothing special about it, except it was done correctly

How would that help?

Or does snow look better with a slower shutter?

Maybe they just have day night cameras? Maybe they have exview B/W with SDNR? Or maybe they are using a 1/2" EM-CCD or Thermal? Many other alternatives to slow shutter. Slow shutter = slow video. Eg. DSS was introduced as a cheap method of obtaining low light video, instead of using the right cameras which cost more money.

I think the point is simply that a slow shutter isn't an issue in this situation, since what they're actually looking at doesn't change much in the course of two seconds (or two minutes, for that matter... or even two hours, most days). There'd be no point in paying big money for advanced low-light technologies when all you want to see is how the snow looks... and thermal would be particularly useless in that instance.

alpine0000, forgive rory - he's in the Bahamas, he doesn't know what snow is