markpow

Foggy picture when IR turns on at night

Today I moved my LTS dome camera to a new location. It has 24 IR Led's. I moved it beneath an overhang overlooking the back yard. The problem is when the IR turns on it looks as if it is foggy outside and I can only see maybe 20feet in front of the camera. Could it be the IR reflecting back? The under color of the overhang is white and alot of it is in the camera's sight. Or maybe I have a bad wire going to my tv from the camera?

What could this be?

I had a situation like that with an ir dome camera. It happens beause there is space between the face of lens and the dome lens. I manually had to move the lens body so the face of the lens(rubber or plastic ring) butts to the dome lens.

No. IR back wash is IR back wash. At least that's what I call it

I had a similiar situation where I had no other choice but to mount the cam over top a white 4" sewer pipe. I had to paint the pipe flat black to eliminate the reflection and this was a cam with ICR. Only had to piant the top of the pipe. Could not see it from the ground and the customer was OK with it as well. She understood.

Could just be a crappy Color IR camera, thats probably it. Too dark for what little bit of IR it has. I normally only use TRUE Day/Night cameras, I just installed a Color IR bullet that the reseller quoted by "mistake" and its so crappy I would like to really hit it with a bat or something

or like they said .. point it down and see what happens.

BTW one should be adjusting an IR camera at Night.

separate IR is always better but I dont have a problem with Most True Day/Night IR bullets ive used, they all have integrated IR, 30 degree beams .. and ofcourse ive used plenty Extreme CCTV Infrared products also ...

its these really crappy Color IR cameras that need to just be run over with a truck cause man they are sooo crappy.

example: Color IR

110897_1.jpg

example: BW Exview

110897_2.jpg

edit: new image tonight, seems i lost some light from back then, so to be fair here is the up to date exview image: (lack of quality due to AvTech DVR again - wider angle due to 3.6mm 1/3". the color IR camera was 2.8-11mm 1/4" but it would not come into focus until around 5mm 1/3" no matter how much I disected it). Still though, the BW Exview is cheaper.

110897_3.jpg

Edited by Guest

I need a mini day/night bullet cam to cover my front door.The light bulb on the front covered entrance patio is green,so i wonder how that would affect the camera picture? I was looking at the Intellicam CBC-100.My concern is it's only a 380tvl with 3.6mm lense

this is a sanyo day night box camera .. not even exview .. just a true day night ... pitch dark .. literally i had to use a flash light to walk around there. There is some light in the next yard in the distance, the camera takes that and spreads it over the image ... there are some lights off to the right also but their effect stops about where you see it on my jeep there.

lowlite2.jpg

just to get an idea of how dark it is, its the same as in the image on the left here (same driveway, looking left, towards a gate)

110906_1.jpg

Today I moved my LTS dome camera to a new location. It has 24 IR Led's. I moved it beneath an overhang overlooking the back yard. The problem is when the IR turns on it looks as if it is foggy outside and I can only see maybe 20feet in front of the camera. Could it be the IR reflecting back? The under color of the overhang is white and alot of it is in the camera's sight. Or maybe I have a bad wire going to my tv from the camera?

What could this be?

is the IR anything like this??

110908_1.jpg

I need a mini day/night bullet cam to cover my front door.The light bulb on the front covered entrance patio is green,so i wonder how that would affect the camera picture? I was looking at the Intellicam CBC-100.My concern is it's only a 380tvl with 3.6mm lense

well for a BW Exview these days:

KPC-EX190SWX

Mini day night isnt going to happen, Day Night bullets will be a little bigger then the small BW and Color bullets. eg check this one:

[PRODUCT REMOVED, POOR QUALITY CONTROL] - same specs with most ALL TRUE Day/Night bullets, other brands have identical specs, follow them to the T.

you mention a light, is there enough light there for a simple color bullet?

KPC-VBN190NHWWX

That CNB looks promising.Thats just it,the light bulb is green and the area is 15'x5'.I think to play it safe, i should go with something like the CNB.Worst case scenario,i can disable the ir.

i forgot one ... True Day/Night Dome:

CNB-VB2760NVR

many brands carry this same one BTW with varying options like different lenses, watch out though as there are also many Color IR versions, in fact CNB has one also. The bullet camera is much better for certain mounting options though as well as physical adjustment. I have this same type in my yard, I prefer the bullets. If you are worried about someone stealing your $100 bullet though, you know, instead of stealing your $10,000 car or gold rings, etc etc .. then perhaps the dome will be better for you, if anything it will slow them down by perhaps ... 3 minutes.

So you use the CNB2760NVF? It says that camera has 18 led's with a max range of 20 meters which equals to 65 and 1/2 feet.So realistically that ir range is about 30'.That works since i have three motion light fixures and three photocell fixtures.I'm still not sold on the whole IR cut filter thingy.I need to do some testing with two exact cameras,but one with and one without an ir cut filter to see which i really prefer.

I used the version that it replaced, it had an actual 50' IR in that case, I reckon this newer one should be close enough to that also. Most True Day/Night bullets will give approx 50' IR with a 30 degree beam.

Then you want a camera with a mechanical IR Cut filter. (ICR)

You wont get that in a Color IR Camera.

That said, if all you are looking at is the front door, then a cheap Color IR may work fine.

--------------------

Purpose of IR Filter in Color Cameras

An IR filter – or IR cut filter - is a color filter blocking the infrared light. There are several good reasons for using an IR-cut filter. Using a color camera to achieve realistic colors in white light requires an IR-cut filter. The color spectrum seen by the human eye is quite limited compared to the spectrum seen by a CCD camera. Especially, in the near infrared region of the spectrum the difference in sensitivity is significant. This is important to know since many light sources, including the sun, emit infrared light. A CCD color camera in daylight without an IR-cut filter will therefore see a significant amount of infrared light resulting in strange colors. Another reason for using an IR-cut filter is the limited color correction for many lenses. It is difficult to design imaging optics covering both the visible spectrum and the near infrared spectrum at the same time. Therefore, many lenses have different depth of focus for the visible and the infrared spectrum. Anyway, the IR-cut filter cuts away a significant amount of the overall collected light and thereby affects the sensitivity in a negative way. In general, color cameras are one factor less sensitive compared to monochrome (depending on the CCD chip). This is primarily due to the IR-cut filter.

Info courtesy of Jai Camera Solutions

----------------------

i had the problem of a foggy looking ir camera and it was due to the cover for the sensor. (not sure what to call the sensor, i guess what detects light levels)

the little rubber cover had fallen off, so i put it back on. i must have put it on upside down, cause it didnt work right and caused the camera to look foggy.

flipped it again and everything worked fine. find the sensor on the camera and see if cleaning it or adjusting helps.