SecurityTech

Converting .mov to .wmv using AVC dropping time/date stamp.

I have an important clip recorded on my old DVR which only allowed backups via the .mov format. I saw more than one recommendation here for Any Video Converter which I have used to convert from .mov to .wmv. I have tried about every possible setup, output settings, etc, and the time/date get wiped during the conversion. Anyone else have this happen ? Any fixes ??

Any particular reason it needs to be converted to WMV? Most computers are capable of playing QuickTime MOV format...

I've always achieved good results with 4U MP4 Video Converter, it supports MOV to WMV, although I haven't actually tried that.

http://www.mp4-converter.biz/

When you say the time and day get wiped, do you mean the frame is cropped or the compression renders the text unreadable?

A number of DVR's embed the time/date as a metadata overlay, not actually part of the video. In that way, the player can "turn off" the display so that what is under it can be seen. It's possible that is what is happening here. If so, I don't believe there is any way to fix it other than playing it back through an analog output and re-capturing it with your current recorder. Of course, you would lose any watermarking/authentication.