Sign in to follow this  
pingsquare

UTP cabling

Hi people, need to setup a network for a client as he wants to remotely view his cctv from another part of the building. The problem his the cctv server PC and his PC is quite far apart and that his hub is in his office where his own pc is. So to create a network i need to put cable a UTP to his office. But the distance is like around 190 metres but cat 5 utp standards is only 100m. Does cat 5e allow me to this distance? or if i exceeds this 100 metre, what is the affect like? sever signal loss to the point that the network cannot be detected? please enlighten me...thank you

Well, I would want to run fiber. But if the client wants to go cheap you can put a small switch in the middle of the run. --Run your first cable out 100m. Plug that into a switch. Then from the switch you can run out another 100m. But that is really not good practice.

use utp and split the 190 into 2 shorter legs and place a switch in the middle, if you can power it?

yes you can. most switches (linksys) operate off of dc volts. think about it. run 2 UTP cable and power the switch with the second UTP cable by twisting 2 pair together!

i dont think that it is a good idea to run power on a twisted pair

however i'm not sure about that - just never tried to do anything similar

just run UTP (or STP, wich is better) and AC power from DVR station side (if u run low voltage DC you might expirence power loss) and UTP from client and put switch somewhere inbetween

or try to use repeater instead of switch

it might be a little bit more expencive but surely much better solution

There is actually a whole standard for running Power Over Ethernet, IEEE 802.af. What VST_Man is suggesting is different but should work unless voltage drop becomes a factor. (hence his suggestion to double up on the conductors)

Fiber is still the best way to do it. But If I was to go the switch in the middle route I would Use a Linksys POE adaptor kit. This puts the power and data on one cable. Also no concern with reversing polarity with home-made adaptors. The POE addresses voltage drop by injecting 48volts into the cable and then transforming it down to 5 volts at the switch end. The gotcha is the little linksys switches are 7.5 volts. So you would have to use one of the 5 volt devices listed on the Linksys POE page:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=582&scid=38

You need something like the BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 10/100 4-Port Switch. You don't need the router part of course. Just plug your cables into switch ports, Not the WAN port.