Slim3001

First time system questions and system spec list

Hi guys how you all doing ? good I hope anyway lets move on to my first cctv system. I have a number of questions I would like to ask along the way. So if you guys dont mind I would like a bit of input so lets start off the base of the system the DVR.

I am looking at a cheap dvr system new or a cheap second hand unit I. Know i will get better kit second hand its just picking the right stuff I all so need the system to be good at uploading live feed to the net for remote set up as im a way a lot of the time.

So first the new stuff I am looking at a number of DVRS but the one thing in common is most new stuff in the systems im looking at is the Video Compression. And that is Mpeg4 or H.264 Both good for uploading to the net. Now I know their not the best compression you can get when it comes to recorded play back but hay what you going to do.

Mpeg4 ) Its my understanding that Mpeg4 will give a better recorded play back then a H.264 dvr. ( Dependant on the H.264 chip set )

H.264 ) Again its my understanding that H.264 will give a better live feed over the net and also an extra 25% record time at the same setting as Mpeg4. But not as good play back

Now out of the two I dont know whats the best to go with but looking at the way H.264 is taking off I think it could be the better bet out the two with firmware updates to the code. If the dvr can take updates.

So the one system im looking at right now is a H.264 system and its got both VGA and HDMI out. The HDMI out is just a gimmic I know this but guess it could work in my favour if I wanted to sell it on. So anyway the dvr im looking at is now Known but at least 3 name's ill list them in how I think there badged.

1 Dahua

2 Apollo

3 Robox

Now the basic spec to this model of DVR

Operating System Embedded LINUX

Multiplex operations: Multiple-channel record, multiple-channel playback and network operation simultaneously.

Compression Standard

Video Compression H.264 and Audio Compression G.711A

Video Standards

PAL(625Line, 50f/s), NTSC(525Line, 60f/s)

Video Resolution

Format NTSC PAL

D1(4CIF) 704 X 480 704 X 576

CIF 352 X 240 352 X 288

QCIF 176 X 120 176 X 144

Video Recording

CIF/QCIF: PAL 1f/s~25f/s, NTSC 1f/s~30f/s

4CIF: PAL 1f/s-25f/s NTSC 1f/s-30f/s

The 1st channel can support D1 realtime recording

Dual encoding streams supported <------------( WHAT IS THIS ? )

Network Functions

TCP/IP, UDP, DHCP, DNS, IP Filter, PPPOE, DDNS, FTP, Email, Alarm Server.

So that is the dvr I think im going to end up buying if I go with new dvr.

The second hand system Im looking at is a eneo BTR-3104/250CD

Now I wont go so much in to the spec as theres a lot but I will add two bits.

Compression standard JPEG-2000, (Recording), H.264 (Network streaming)

Recording speed 200 Fields/sec. at 360x144)( 100 Fields/sec. at 360x288 )( 50 Fields/sec. at 720x288 (PAL)

Now I think thats the better DVR but it dose cost a lot more and is second hand.

Next is Cameras now I dont know much if anything at all about them but i have been looking and come up with a list. That maybe you could help with the system is going to be setup out side. I have flood lights out side my house but dont want to rely on them for light. So im going with some ir cam's I think

On the cheap side im looking at housed units and im looking for x2 of each.

For the front of the house

Brand: Sony CCD

Main DSP Sony CXD3142R

Lens supplied: 3.6mm Fixed

IR Illumination: 25 Metres

Scene: Day - Night

Rating: Outdoor IP66

Resolution: 420tvl

CCD Type: Sony 1/3" CXD3142R

For the back and side

Brand: Sony CCD

Chip Set Sony CXD3142R

Lens supplied: 3.6mm Fixed

IR Illumination: 10 Metres

Resolution: 420tvl

CCD Type: Sony 1/3" Super HAD

I could get better spec on paper of ebay from China but you dont know if there any good. So im going to buy from uk shop.

If I wanted to pay a bit more I would be looking at these cameras 520 /540

is there going to be much difference between two ?

1) Brand: Sony CCD

Main DSP Nextchip 2010

Lens supplied: 4 - 9mm Varifocal

IR Illumination: 30 Metres

Resolution: 520tvl

CCD Type: Sony ICX-639AK

2)Brand: Sony CCD

Main DSP Nextchip 2010

Lens supplied: 4 - 9mm Varifocal

IR Illumination: 40 Metres

Resolution: 540tvl

CCD Type: Sony ICX-639AK

And the last Question I would like to know is will I be better of using Black Shotgun Cable Coil RG59 Coax + 2 DC Cores over cat5 and set of CCTV Camera Video Power Balun UTP Transceivers

Thanks for your time and thanks for reading my post

Hi ya its around £400/$654 up to £600/$982 top end But would like to stay close to the £400-£500/$818 mark. As I say only looking for a basic system that I can monitor and control over the net.

Thanks

I don't know what kind of decent quality equipment you can get for a total of under 1,000.00 US.

how does the system stack up that I have asked about ?.

As I say its a basic system to beable to see live over the net.

I'm not familiar with the specific equipment your referring to, so I can't vouch for it. I've learned not to always trust spec sheets. Especially on re-branded equipment.

It sounds like you've done research and found something that you think will meet your budget requirements. Good, but understand the return policies. Be ware of restocking fees for returned perfect condition equipment or "store credit only" returns. If you see this in the fine print, buy from someone else. That usually means the company knows their selling crap and they don't want it back. Save the receipts. If you don't like it, take it back.

Go ahead and run all necessary wires. You'll need this in place, regardless of the cameras you finally decide on. I use on analog cameras (and so do most pros) RG59 Siamese paired with 18/2 for power. Hook everything up and play with it a few days. Dedicate some serious time into figuring out if this is the system for you. Don't just see if you like the static images after setup. Watch the recorded footage of you walking, even running around at BOTH day and night. Could you tell it was you if you didn't know it was? Is there any blur if you still frame the footage?

What separates good CCTV from the bad is the ability to successfully identify people and cars, post event. If it can't do that, then what's the point?

Hay thanks dude ill check on that then ill all so upload the ip when i got the system sorted out . for you guys to take a look at.

thanks againe

I'd like to take a look, but probably not a good idea posting it on a public site. PM me instead. Let us know if you have any more questions setting it up...

Yer will do m8.

Found a cctv shop about 30min away from my house so phoned them up and asked about the apollo IE ( Do you sell a dvr called Apollo with hdmi out) yes. So I went there today and had a look at the system up and running looks a nice bit of kit asked to see some play back video witch the guy did and it looked ok but it was x 16 screen's he could not get it to bring up one big screen. It would just keep going back to live streem but it looked good anyway. And He got a price for me on the dvr with a HD and its £160 + vat at 15% so £184 GBP thats about $305 USD that is a 8 channel unit then I need to get a HD but a 1TB is only about £60

PS the unit in the USA is called a Intellicam G4-HD-E and can be found a

www intellicamusa com if you wont to have a look. Dont know how much this unit would cost in the US be good to find out just how much we over paying n the UK

Now Its not a badlooking unit better looking the the othere units on show it looked more like a part from a AV system.

The 1st channel can support D1 realtime recording

Dual encoding streams supported <------------( WHAT IS THIS ? )

By the way this feature allows for the DVR to be configured to record at a higher resolution and frame rate while being able to also stream at a lessor rate. DVR's that do not provide this feature will stream at the same recording resolution and frame rate that is is set to record at.

I hope that made sense.

By the way this feature allows for the DVR to be configured to record at a higher resolution and frame rate while being able to also stream at a lessor rate. DVR's that do not provide this feature will stream at the same recording resolution and frame rate that is is set to record at.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks m8 Yer I think it did so no matter what setting I have the unit running it it will let me stream at a lesor rate. I take it this could all so work the othere way ?.

All so m8 I see you sell the unit whatyu think to it ?

Thanks for any info and on a side note is there a Hard Drive I should look out for that will run best on this unit or is it just any old sata 7200 drive

Thanks

Thanks m8 Yer I think it did so no matter what setting I have the unit running it it will let me stream at a lesor rate. I take it this could all so work the othere way ?.

No. Substream is meant for streaming at the lessor rate. You would not want to stream at a higher rate and record at the lessor rate. Defeats the purpose of the feature.

All so m8 I see you sell the unit whatyu think to it ?

Thanks for any info and on a side note is there a Hard Drive I should look out for that will run best on this unit or is it just any old sata 7200 drive

Surveillance systems should always be equipped with a drive that is designed to be constantly written to. Whereas a PC drive is designed to write a little, read a little, etc, a DVR HD will write information 24/7. Seagate’s SV35 Series Drives are what is used in our and most DVR’s.

Yes we do carry these DVR’s and have had great luck with them as well as the entire JS line from Intellicam. An outstanding DVR with Hi-Def output and many features. You will not be disappointed.

ok thanks dude

I did wot to ask a question to you guys but forgot to so its 2.33am in the UK and its just poped in to my head LMAO.

Im going to be putting the dvr in my loft now I was wondering if you think its worth fitting a cam in the loft just incase some one wonted to nick the dvr. Im looking to have the dvr Backing up over FTP for motion detection just got to find out how to FTP and what I need

( IE WEB SPACE OR SOMTHING)

Thanks

OK found the Seagate’s SV35 Series Drives I found it in a 500gb or a 1TB unit now im lost as to which one to get. The price for the 1TB is about double of the 500gig. But thats not a problem what im lost with is do I need a 1TB drive for 4-5 cam's max.

1 channel will be set at D1 the othere 3/4 chanels will be at cif I think

Looking over the pdf file im I right that the system can only record 1 channel with motion detection setup

Anyway hope to be going the shop later on today ( Saturday ) to maybe pick the system up as im looking to buy all the stuff in one go so going to try to get a deal on the price

OK found the Seagate’s SV35 Series Drives I found it in a 500gb or a 1TB unit now im lost as to which one to get. The price for the 1TB is about double of the 500gig. But thats not a problem what im lost with is do I need a 1TB drive for 4-5 cam's max.

The DVR only holds one drive so spend your money once and get the 1Tb but it all depends on how you will be recording ( motion or 24/7 ). Motion only, 500 will be plenty. I calculated recording 1 channel in D1 24/7 and the other 3 in CIF 24/7 will get you around 18 days give or take.

Looking over the pdf file im I right that the system can only record 1 channel with motion detection setup

Those DVR's here in the US allow for motion detection recording on all channels. I would assume those will as well unless there is a different firmware version.

Im going to be putting the dvr in my loft now I was wondering if you think its worth fitting a cam in the loft just incase some one wonted to nick the dvr. Im looking to have the dvr Backing up over FTP for motion detection just got to find out how to FTP and what I need

( IE WEB SPACE OR SOMTHING)

Not a bad idea as we have also done this as well BUT although the FTP feature is a nice one, the DVR will not begin to upload the event until it is over or reaches the predetermined upload file size. Once the motion event has ended or reached that file size will it begin to upload. You may want to consider placing that camera at a point other than the DVR location, maybe the entrance to the room or loft. This way who ever walks through that field of view in route to the DVR, it will be recorded. The event will end and the DVR will upload that event. By the time they have a chance to disable or steal the DVR, that event will be off-site.

Thanks m8 you full of info in the uk its hard to get any info on system's as theres not many shop's that let you in unless you in the trade I have only found the one shop. And thay guy dont no much about this unit in hiss own words. ( I cant tell you much m8 I just sell them we have sub contrackters that do all the work ) And uk forums not naming name's but unless you in the trade or buying from some one of the forum thay dont wont to know.

So thanks againe m8 your input has elped a lot so as all the othere info from the guys on this cracking site. Im hoping I can help some one out soon maybe with a step by step for the DIY guys and girls out there that are new to this like I am.

All the DVR's in question are manufactured by Dahua technology. We market them under the original dahua brand so I could go on and write a biased review. Suffice to say that we and our customers are very happy with the quality and RMA of the device.

I am just interested in your selection of camera? Why on earth would you pay for a 25m illumination infra-red camera, when it's only fitted with a 3.6mm lens. What is the target and target size which are trying to record, and how far away from the camera do you need to see?

By the way -- if they say the camera has 25m illumination, you should work on about 10-12m outdoor. The camera is rated indoors, where there is plenty of reflective surface for the IR light to reflect off. Outdoors the IR light is going to dissipate into the night air, and will be reflecting off far less surface area than indoors, if you are trying to see 25m.