goalie

8 or 16ch DVR with CDRW - backup to avi directly

Are there any DVRs out there with built in CDRW that record uncompressed avi onto a CD.

I've seen a few with CDRW's but they backup to some proprietary software

which needs to be converted to AVI.

Not trying to be fussy, but the police have had trouble with playing it back because they have to isntall the software etc.

I would like uncompessed that way no need for a special codec hopefully and that way they won't complain it doesn't play back because they don't have the CODEC

Well... What system are you using in the first place?

When it comes to things like bringing footage for court evidence, or just PD use, here is what you can do: create an installer with footage and codecs, so they would copy in the right place and/or install. Usually it is like one file missing... You can make it as a silent install -- this way they will not even notice it!

Right now i am using a DVMR-8. Korean made. Has no CDRW though.

There is a similar model to this with CDRW built in but you need their player to play it back or convert to AVI.

I was hoping there is something that writes AVI directly to the CDR without need for conversion. You're right i guess I could make an installer, for the codecs etc.

Hmmm, actually, and Im sure it is the same with some others, with the Kalatels, when you burn to CD, it burns the software also, which is a self running executable that needs no installation.

Rory

The Bosch Divar will let you export to straight AVI file, not many Standalones do this, but all will be compressed, sheesh you wouldnt want it not to or it would be a huge file.

it can also back up with the viewer if you like, 3yr warranty too.