ashtech

which is better utp or rg59/RG6

I need help deciding on what type of cable to use. i have a lot of long run to do. then i have some shorrt runs? another thing is, how far cn i transmit power over these cables?

Hello Ashtech,

if you are using cable for CCTV Project than you should only use RG59 95% Copper Braid Cable, which will give you better result as RG59 is made keeping in mind for “CCTVâ€

Sorry, but that is not necessarily true. While CCTV coaxial cable should be 100% copper center conductor and 95% braided copper shield, RG-59 is not the only cable that fits that specification. For one, West Penn has a number of variations on cable types that are suitable:

RG179/U (W/P 825/25825/45825) "MiniMax" – 1 Conductor 25AWG Solid, 95% Bare copper braid and an overall PVC Jacket. Variations include plenum. Max. length for CCTV = 500 ft.

RG59/U (W/P 815/815E/815R/4815/25815) – 1 Conductor 20AWG Solid, 95% Bare copper braid and an overall PVC Jacket. Variations include plenum, riser, outdoor and direct-burial ratings. Max. length for CCTV = 1,000 ft.

RG6/U (W/P 806/806R/4806/25806) – 1 Conductor 18 AWG Solid, 95% Bare copper braid and an overall PVC Jacket. Variations include plenum, riser, outdoor and direct-burial ratings. Max. length for CCTV = 1,500 ft.

RG11/U (W/P 811/4811/25811) – 1 Conductor 14 Awg. Solid Bare Copper, 95% Bare Copper Braid and PVC Jacket. Variations include plenum, riser, outdoor and direct-burial ratings. Max. length for CCTV = 3,000 ft.

Note: CCTV maximum distance ratings vary on the above cables. Those are absolute maximums and under ideal conditions. Personally, I would limit runs of any type to approximately 3/4 of the listed maximum ratings. Also, bare copper braid is not required for RF, only for low frequency (CCTV) applications.

Then you have CAT5/6 twisted-pair. Typical distance limits are 1,000 ft. passive-passive, 2,000 ft. active-passive (either end active) and 4,000 ft. active-active. YMMV.

CCTV power is not normally sent over the coax. It can be sent on twisted-pair but distances are limited. Use a calculator such as is available here to calculate distance and wire gauge for power.

Thanks Survtech for in depth info on CCTV Cables

In a layman term choosing Coaxial Cable for CCTV refer earlier post

Good luck

There are a couple other factors to consider as well:

1. Future use. If you think you'll upgrade to IP cameras in the future, it may be preferable to pull UTP now. UTP also gives you the ability to run multiple analog signals over a single line, or to run video, power and control signal (such as RS-232/485 for a PTZ).

2. Cable cost. Sometimes you'll find one or the other type substantially cheaper, or already have some onhand. If you're wiring up a new site, it's likely already being pre-wired with UTP for network and phones, so it may be more cost-effective to add another run or two of UTP at the same time (especially if you or your builder can get a bulk deal).

There are other cost considerations either way. You can run network over coax, for example, using devices like HiWires, but you're looking at several hundred dollars (currently) for a single pair. Going the other way, baluns to run analog over UTP add cost, but can average out to cheaper - for example, four pairs of baluns to a single Cat5e/6 run, vs. four coax runs.

There's no definitive answer as to which is "best"; each method has its place. You have to factor in all your needs to determine which is best suited for you.

hi if your going over short distance and you terminate well then use whatever braid you like (in the real world) there no difference over say 15-50m its when you going over long distances you will start to see issues. also would point out if your installing cable at location with lots of hf/rf signals go for the R59 and terminate well, but for standard home installations alloy braid is fine as ive used both in many installs home and business hope oh if yoru an uber videophile make sure you have a good earth the amount of jobs ive done with crappy earth impeadance nosie coming from that source tear my hair out..