blake

Which dvr footage backup type do you prefer?

Was just wondering how many of you and your customers prefer dvd backup or thumbdrive backup?

i do both, i prefer USB, everyone has a USB slot, but CD/DVD is better for a more permanent backup (though they get scratched). In fact, I prefer to use the SD-USB Adapter with an SD card.

In most cases, CD or DVD is more practical.

I almost always backup to USB hard drive first though, then do the rest off site. In those cases, the DVR doesnt need a CD or DVD drive at all.

The FTP backup is preffered for something like front door and dvr view cams right?

Well, I was talking about my residence. There I have 6 cameras and back them all up to an FTP server at another location. But you are correct, those camera locations would suffice for FTP only.

How much off-site FTP storage do you burn thru per year?

Dont know, never really looked at that. The server it goes to allows 300gb of storage and I have it on a ring buffer (FIFO). Last a couple of weeks before it starts to overwrite.

I send all of my customers thru Mike @ Shoreview,so i'm trying to get an idea of FTP requirements so that they don't get to blowing up my phone.He offers 2,4 and 5 gig ftp a year storage plans.

if you want to use that as an additional storage I see no harm, personally i wouldnt depend on that for the main storage or back up though.