acableconnection

need help with old dvr hdd

It should work... what size the is the drive that you purchased? What size was the orignal? I found that some DVRs cap out at certain size HDD and won't work with anything past a certain point. I've seen DVRs max out as little as 500gb, 750gb, or even 1TB. No idea why. Crappy outdated firmware I guess...

Also, most DVRs require that when you replace the HDD to do some sort of format. You can do this by first installing the HDD, then scrolling through to menu systems to find something to do with formatting the drive. Have you done this?

Yes, this hard drive needs to be formated.

You do not format prior to inserting the hard drive, and it is done in the menu as stated above.

Main Menu > Hard Drive Setup > Master HDD Format.

Put in your password, and it will format.

Default password is 111111

thanks for the reply guys. I got it to work in the slave spot. Really is the same cable power etc. not sure how it knows its the slaver. different pins on the cable?

can i run it in the slave position?

Most recorders will take over when you install a new HD. If it's a old recorder, some of them will will not except a HP over 80gb. Make sure the jumpers are in the correct position as the old one that you are taking out.

The programming is imbedded in a chip. I'm would question a PATA drive. If it's and old baby, chances are it's a IDE. Those Drives are going off the

market. Call around, you might find one. With the price of imbedded DVR's so low, sometimes it's wise to junk the old one, unless you want to play around with it.