tomster

Ideas for connecting a 16 ch DVR to a wall jack?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure a way to "clean up" the installation of my 16 ch DVR. Right now I have 16 coax cables coming out of a hole in the wall that each terminate to their respective BNC connectors on the DVR. Do they make a "bundle cable" of sort that can take 16 DVR BNC's and terminate to a jack on a wall plate?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

There's nothing EXISTING that I'm aware of. You could probably rig something up, maybe using DVI-I connectors and wall plates, but if your DVR has 16 BNC inputs on the back, you're just going to have to break that wall plate back out to 16 coax-with-BNCs again... would be a LOT of work and expense to end up pretty much back where you started.

Something like this might help you tidy things up a bit, though: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18548&highlight=sliced+bread

I had the same situation and instead moved the DVR to a closet and re-routed the cables from the ceiling. Later I installed a large electrical enclosure on the rear wall of the closet to hold all my interconnected surveillance, internet, and home automation hardware which are powered off a single UPS.

I was afraid of that. Anyway, thanks for the link soundy and bpzle. I guess thats the road I will be going down....

I don't know how much signal you would loose from all the connections...

But you could get a VGA wall plate (male on each side) and maybe order a couple replacement breakouts/ pigtails for a DVR card like Geo Vision. I've never checked, but surely they sell them. Use a vga extension cord to extend the breakout to the DVR. Again, you may get some noise from all those connections... Wait, I just remember they sell VGA to BNC pig tails. Check MarkerTek.com

They would have them. You'd probably have to check the pin outs....

Just thought of another idea that probably makes more sense... Use that wall plate that soundy and I mentioned (didnt realize we both posted it before). Then get maybe a 4-6 inch wide by X long heat shrink. You'd probably have to cut the BNC connectors off before you fished it through the heat shrink. This would give you that extra tidy "single cable" look. Or just do what I do and use that wall plate with lots and lots of black zip ties. I like to fancey myself as an artistic cable dresser.

Just thought of another idea that probably makes more sense... Use that wall plate that soundy and I mentioned (didnt realize we both posted it before). Then get maybe a 4-6 inch wide by X long heat shrink. You'd probably have to cut the BNC connectors off before you fished it through the heat shrink. This would give you that extra tidy "single cable" look. Or just do what I do and use that wall plate with lots and lots of black zip ties. I like to fancey myself as an artistic cable dresser.

Nah... that kinda job is why they invented split-loom!

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/split-wire-loom.html

Oh ya... that would be better. I forget about that stuff cuz I never carry it on the truck. I always have too many different sizes of cable trunks and don't want to carry different sizes of each of that stuff...

I use it as often as not on individual camera mounts, so I use plenty of 1/2". I'll usually have at least one coil of that onboard, and one of 1" just in case I have something larger. All the auto-parts stores around here have it, so it's easy enough to pop out and grab some if I need it.

That's more of what I had in mind, but it looks like there are 5 BNC's to a cable and I have a total of 16. That, combined with the high price, makes it prohibitive.

An outstanding suggestion however!

So I guess it's either the wire ties or the harness approach....

Thanks again,

Tom

If you use the type of DVR that uses an 8- or 16-connector breakout cable from a VGA or DVI-I connector, like the GeoVisions, VideoInsights and Vigils (among others), you could use a wall-plate-mounted VGA or DVI pass-through, connect the breakout to that inside the wall, and then just use a regular VGA or DVI cable from the wall to your DVR.