bpzle

Use existing LAN or create new?

I was curious what you guys were doing on new CCTV installs/ upgrades with IP cams on sites that already have networks. Do you try to utilize the existing equipment and perhaps create V-Lans? Or do you find it easier to add a dedicated switch or 2 for the cameras. Personally I get a little nervous when it comes to modifying a customer's existing network that could be critical to their operations... I'd prefer to have my own dedicated network and simply add a NIC to each workstation that the customer wants to dual purpose as viewing client. OR have my own dedicated LAN for the camers and put dual NICs on the server(s). This would allow for easy access on existing workstations and ISP without making home runs to each workstation...

Your thoughts?

I like to create a separate network whenever possible. One new site, they'd already created a VLAN for the cameras in their switch, so we used that.

On sites where they want remote access, I've found it usually suffices to plug my switch into their network, and create an "alternate" IP on the DVR that corresponds to their network (so the adapter has both 192.168.2.* address for the cameras, and a 10.* address for their LAN/WAN). One or two sites, I've added a second NIC for the company LAN, but I haven't had any problems doing it the other way. The whole point of a switch, rather than a hub, is that the traffic for one network shouldn't affect the traffic for the other, since the switch routes the data direct to its destination, rather than blasting it out to everyone who's connected.

Good input. Thanks.

My full time job only requires me to troubleshoot. Network design is something I never thought I'd need to know. This CCTV side business I run has quite the steep learning curve...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Not a lot of "network design" required, really, if you put your system on its own switch. Just run all your cables to one place and plug them into an appropriate switch, along with the DVR, and configure the IPs appropriately.

I agree that building a separate LAN is the safest way to avoid any potential problems with a customer's existing network.... But, it negates a lot of labor cost benefits of using an existing network already in place that may be perfectly adequate for the task.

A number of schools I've installed in have fiber gigabit backbones and Cisco switches, spread over many buildings, that are better than what we would install. Why walk away from the capability of working with that?

If you are doing a massive scale install, I would think about a parallel network structure, but short of that, VLAN's, and proper design, can make a reasonably functional network carry video with little impact.

All true, too. It's really too vague a question with too many variables - size of the project, scope of existing network, etc.

I agree... I know there's too many variables for a solid answer. Just looking to learn of mainstream "ideal" practices. I'm trying to do all the homework I can before I feel confident enough to start bidding the "big" jobs. Common sense I've got, real world experience I don't

I always use a separate network, It wont go down well when you kill off their

network with IP cameras hammering away.

And theres the security issues also.

use Vlans to separate for sure if its on the same network and you have no choice

z

I agree... I know there's too many variables for a solid answer. Just looking to learn of mainstream "ideal" practices. I'm trying to do all the homework I can before I feel confident enough to start bidding the "big" jobs. Common sense I've got, real world experience I don't

General consensus, I think, is that a dedicated network is the ideal situation most of the time. Using existing infrastructure is usually possible, and can sometimes be much more efficient if the capability is there, especially in instances suggested in hardwired's post, but keeping your camera traffic as isolated as possible from your regular network traffic (whether via physically separate wiring, or via VLAN) is your main goal.

For the "real world" experience that you referred to, you can often borrow some, especially on the bigger installs you refer to.

Call on your customer's IT department with as much information regarding the scope and requirements of what you intend to install, and use them as a resource to determine whether what you intend to do is feasible on "their" network.

Often, if you present the information well, IT departments are becoming surprisingly receptive to the idea of video, it often allows them the justification for upgrades in their infrastructure they've been itching for.

Also, getting buy-in from IT departments can give you an advocate on the customer's side of the fence. If what you are suggesting for the customer seems realistic to the IT folks, that can add confidence to the decision-maker's choice to use (and continue to use) you for their video.