jmay8008

geovision V8.3 No TCP Server

Updated system from GV600 to GV800 and software from V7 to V8.3

Now I'm unable to remote view..found Geovision info stating that TCP sever

port 3550 was removed... what can I do to fix my problem

I discovered that the TCP server had been removed when I upgraded to v8.3 a couple of months ago. I wasn't too surprised since although v8.2 supports RemoteView the references to it were removed from the v8.2 manual and RemoteView wasn't included on the v8.2 CD. MultiView is unacceptably slow to start up when connected remotely. A few days ago I switched my two systems with v8.3 back to v8.2.

I discovered that the TCP server had been removed when I upgraded to v8.3 a couple of months ago. I wasn't too surprised since although v8.2 supports RemoteView the references to it were removed from the v8.2 manual and RemoteView wasn't included on the v8.2 CD. MultiView is unacceptably slow to start up when connected remotely. A few days ago I switched my two systems with v8.3 back to v8.2.

strange.

what kind of PC were you checking it on? Remote View opens and loads camera views about 5x times faster than any remote view option that geovision offers.

it was a cut and dry program. especially saving DVRs to your favorite list. i still use that program to this day.

very dis appointed that geovision doesn't do a good job documenting how to add multiple DVRs to multiview.

It's MultiView that's slow over the Internet, RemoteView is fast but isn't supported by v8.3. MultiView is fine on a local network, the first camera displays almost immediately over the Internet but the other cameras can take two or three minutes before they all appear. Our systems are mostly on DSL lines with around 5000-6000 Kbps download and 370 kbps upload. The download speed is irrelevant for the video, the upload speed is the important one. The upload speed is usually much slower than the download speed on broadband systems but is rarely advertised.

We have a bunch of sites (automatic and self-serve car washes) that we don't normally actively monitor but we need to check them occasionally if there's a problem or to see if we need to send someone to the site on a busy day. We also use the systems to analyze malfunctions and investigate customer damage claims. We currently have GeoVision systems at 6 of our sites, the company just bought some more washes, which I also plan to put GeoVision systems in.

Mostly, v8.2 is sufficient for our requirements, although it would be nice to have more than 16 cameras in a couple of our sites. I bought several used GV800-16 cards, it would probably be cheaper for me to put in a second system than to buy the newer PCI and PCIe cards and the faster computer needed for 32 cameras in one system. For a 32-channel v8.3 system with GV800 cards, you need one of each kind. Other GV boards have different requirements.

@jmay8008 do u have the ports for multiview config correctly?

(4550, 5550)

@GaryW it's not that multiview is slow is that you have camera system on DSL

like you noticed, it's way too slow to view few channels at same time. try viewing no more than 4 channels at a time or upgrade your internet to Cable.

you can also tweak the quality to Low under the server settings in GV, click the server link until it opens the dialog. change the quality to low and scale the video to low size.

We have faster than typical DSL service in our area (the slowest DSL option available is 6 Mbps) and the one site that is on cable is actually slower. We have no bandwidth problem with RemoteView. MultiView has acceptable speed once all of the cameras are connected but it takes much too long for all of the cameras to appear. Limiting the number of cameras isn't an option. With up to 9 car wash bays at a site, each with a camera, plus several other cameras, we need to view them all to get a good idea of whether there are any problems at the site.

Limiting the video quality would probably be acceptable but I haven't been able to find the quality and screen size settings that you mentioned. The lowest screen size setting that I can find is "normal" (320x240).

no matter what the AT&T rep promise ADSL isn't as fast as cables. but thats a whole other thread I guess

sorry for the confusion you did what I meant under the server setup.

I would also change the compression to H264 for both MultiView & Webcam though I'm not sure it'll affect MultiView. but that's my personal pref only, some will argue here to stay with MPEG4. in your case, I would try to play with it and see if it's actually perform better.

(System Config>A/V Setting> Video Attributes > Advanced)

click the hand icon to transfer the settings to all cameras.

It's not AT&T, it's Frontier DSL and it IS faster than our one cable site, I've tested both of them myself. We two sites on other DSL systems (one on Verizon and one on a small telephone company) and they are MUCH slower than Frontier. Luckily, they're also our smallest sites with the fewest cameras. I've had Frontier DSL service at home for several years and have found that it's only marginally slower than the local Time-Warner Roadrunner service. At a couple of our sites, cable isn't available anyway.

Part of my problem seems to be that MultiView appears to connect separately for each channel and may be tying up my router. When I bypass the VPN server in the router and use port forwarding instead, the video appears much faster but not nearly as fast as with RemoteView. Changing to a different router isn't an option, our car wash systems require a router with an integrated VPN server.

[/i]

I changed the codec to Geo H264 and the quality to low but it didn't have a noticeable effect on how long it took all of the cameras to appear.

each multi view window is a separate activeX control, separate connection. Are these new cards? If not can you not go back to an older version like 8.12? thats the last one Im using and it works great. From 8.2 it all went down hill and 8.3 just killed it for me totally. Too many problems with their 8.3 activeX as well.