Im venturing into IP cams for the first time and wondered is it possible to use wireless IP cams on my BNC DVR. Ie wireless to BNC convertor ?

One of the benefits of using an IP camera is not needing a dvr, instead the video is stored on the server , a NAS device, or inside the camera directly. The only conversions i have seen is the HIGHWIRE adapters which allow you to use coax to pass the network signal or converters to make analog cameras into IP.

Im venturing into IP cams for the first time and wondered is it possible to use wireless IP cams on my BNC DVR. Ie wireless to BNC convertor ?

Ummm... kind of?

You can get a converter that will take the IP signal and generate an analog output, but that will run into the limitations of NTSC/PAL video. If you're using megapixel IP cameras, you've just completely negated the benefits of megapixel by doing that, as you lose all that extra resolution.

There's a VERY slight chance your DVR may already support IP cameras - if you post the make and model someone here might have a better idea on that.

The only conversions i have seen is the HIGHWIRE adapters which allow you to use coax to pass the network signal or converters to make analog cameras into IP.

But the signal would still be IP while the BNC input of a DVR is analog. As Soundy says, most likely it will not be possible without replacing the DVR.

Thanks for all the replies, I have the AVtech AVD715 DVR

I did before that have a PC setup with a Geovision card. But was a PITA to be honest which is why I went standalone and since then (couple of years now) has been 100% painless.

But at the moment im setting up a wireless IP camera system for my father as he hates cables and in doing so im seeing the benefit of being wireless and wondering if I could incorporate a couple of wireless cams into my own setup.

so im seeing the benefit of being wireless

What benefits are you seeing?

I would only ever use wireless as a last resort.

Thanks for all the replies, I have the AVtech AVD715 DVR

That unit doesn't support IP cameras.

I did before that have a PC setup with a Geovision card. But was a PITA to be honest which is why I went standalone and since then (couple of years now) has been 100% painless.

The irony is, newer versions of the GV software DO support IP cameras (that support is independent of the capture card).

But at the moment im setting up a wireless IP camera system for my father as he hates cables and in doing so im seeing the benefit of being wireless and wondering if I could incorporate a couple of wireless cams into my own setup.

Not IP cameras. Standard analog, you could. Consumer-grade wireless is very limited in range and quality, either way. It is nice to get away from needing to run cables, but unless you're spending big money on commercial-grade wireless, it's probably a lot more efficient overall to just stick to running wires.

Thanks, I get really great wi-fi signal all over my property. Even at the end of my garden I can surf perfect. Which gives alot of posbilities for a wireless camera which I would not be a able to run cables to.

I think I will just run a couple of additional cameras on a pc, just it would have been nice to keep things together.

btw I have tried the other wireless (cant think what you call it, non wi-fi where you convert a analog camera) and that sucked very poor.