faster340

Repairing rg59...

I am doing a 5 camera 8 channel dvr system. My worker was fishing the wires from the camera through a concrete wall and ripped the bnc connector off the wire on the camera side. My cctv supply person gave me a 1 channel passive video transceiver (video balun) to repair the camera wire. Is this correct? If not can someone please help me splice this bnc?

The wire that comes out of the camera is Y shaped with video and power..

Also the power connector was cut off the 100' of white rg59 siamese wire I ran. There is one red wire in there wrapped with a copper sheath. There are +- terminal in the power supply. Is the copper sheath the ground that I attach to the - terminal in the power supply?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Russell

Rg59 doesnt come with connectors, so this sounds like premade? Cant the worker just put the BNC back on?

I am doing a 5 camera 8 channel dvr system. My worker was fishing the wires from the camera through a concrete wall and ripped the bnc connector off the wire on the camera side. My cctv supply person gave me a 1 channel passive video transceiver (video balun) to repair the camera wire. Is this correct? If not can someone please help me splice this bnc?

That SHOULD work. If not, get a piece of RCA cable (like from an A/V or stereo-audio cable), splice that to the end (solder if possible), and use BNC/RCA adapters as necessary to complete the connection. Be sure to properly insulate the center and shield conductors.

Also the power connector was cut off the 100' of white rg59 siamese wire I ran. There is one red wire in there wrapped with a copper sheath. There are +- terminal in the power supply. Is the copper sheath the ground that I attach to the - terminal in the power supply?

Should be. Double-check with a multimeter if possible.

Rg59 doesnt come with connectors, so this sounds like premade? Cant the worker just put the BNC back on?

No, he's saying they tore the BNC off the camera's output cable.

Exactly.

Exactly.

in that case just take the connector off the RG59 and join the wires together. If they cannot do any of this, then hire someone that can. Anyone in the CCTV industry, or even the low voltage industry, should be able to handle that for them.

no offense, but i'm probably about to offend anyway lol....

how do people like this get work???? unbelievable that i loose bids to people like this....

no offense, but i'm probably about to offend anyway lol....

how do people like this get work???? unbelievable that i loose bids to people like this....

Maybe with an attitude like that is why you lose bids to other people. God forbid someone is looking to get started. You could be a help instead of an insult!!!

I'm not knocking you for your lack of experience. We all started at some point in our careers. But most of us if not all were apprentices and worked sided by side with others that knew what they were doing. That made it OK to make mistakes because we had the supervision of someone who wouldn't let us screw up too bad... So, no one around you has any idea how to answer such a question? It is concerning to say the least that your only lifeline for such an extremely basic electronics question is on an internet forum. If you don't understand basic wiring, then how could you possibly have enough skill to properly install a CCTV system? Or for that matter, anything electronics related?

Which brings me back to my original question... how did you get this job?

I ask not sarcastically, or disrespectfully.

After all, when a guy with zero experience manages to appear qualified and competent enough to a customer, bid the job, and win the job, that is noteworthy to say the least. It is a skill set of which I admire, and I think we would all be interested in learning.

I am normally a systems administrator and data center manager but when I lost my job in January and had difficulty finding another I started my own tech business. I am very mechanically inclined and have been in the building industry and the automotive fields as well as IT... My customers asked if I could put security cameras in. I said sure why not since I am used to running cat5 and fiber optic lines anyway and expanded my business so I could make money to take care of my responsibilities. I am sorry if I didn't work side by side with a pro... Oh I get customers by word of mouth, friends, past colleagues and new business acquaintances. But so far my customers whom I have installed these systems have been extremely happy because of my diligence to do a good job for them and using these forums help me do that.

Thank you all for your assistance... I was able to fix the wire just by splicing it, soldering and heat shrink and the camera is functioning beautifully and the customer is very happy.

Glad you got it sorted out

You'll have to excuse bpzle, he sounds like he's recently had a run-in with some "trunk-slammers", guys with no knowledge of the industry who figured it was just a good line of work to get into and come swooping in underbidding everyone in sight.

Actually, your story is pretty common around here recently: IT guys who, since they're "technically oriented", are being asked by their companies and customers to start doing their cameras as well. You have an advantage as well, since more and more cameras are going to IP rather than analog video, and your network and systems knowledge will come in handy for that.

Thanks. I understand about the trunk-slammers... I have come across their work and have had to pick up the pieces. I pride myself on doing a good job. It makes busting my ass day to day worth it. Also helps get new customers too... LOL

Thanks again.

Glad you got it sorted out

You'll have to excuse bpzle, he sounds like he's recently had a run-in with some "trunk-slammers", guys with no knowledge of the industry who figured it was just a good line of work to get into and come swooping in underbidding everyone in sight.

Actually, your story is pretty common around here recently: IT guys who, since they're "technically oriented", are being asked by their companies and customers to start doing their cameras as well. You have an advantage as well, since more and more cameras are going to IP rather than analog video, and your network and systems knowledge will come in handy for that.

Exactly.

I appologize for drawing a quick conclusion. As Soundy pointed out, I (we all) have been outbid countless times by some donkies that know literally nothing. I really am interested in learning their sales pitch... low bids can't be everything.

Again, I agree with Soundy that it sounds like you do indeed have a solid foundation. You'll have plenty of advantages over the die hard all analog CCTV companies that are no doubt in your area, like mine. Just to give you an example, I attended a regional CCTV roadshow recently. I met a guy who has been installing CCTV for 15 years plus and doesn't even know what a router is.... I was a room full of about 40 "CCTV installers" and not one person knew how many images were in single frame of video... One person actually guessed 60. Unbelievable... I just don't get how guys like that get work....

bpzle, I know what you mean! I used to be in IT as well; back in 2000, I interviewed and was hired for one job, and they told me that if I had my MSCE, I would be "worth" at least $5k more per year... well... I ended up working in a room full of MSCEs and could tech most of them under the table any day. One couldn't figure out how to get an internet connection working on a Mac, because he didn't actually understand TCP/IP. Another didn't know how to change out a dead floppy drive... and this was in an IBM computer that didn't even have screws holding it in, just flip a couple levers and pop it right out.

Some of the techs were really good, to be fair, but most of the ones who waved their MCSEs as some sort of badge of honor were useless if what they faced didn't match their Microsoft-specific training. And yet, someone had determined that those letter meant they were "worth" more than me.

You'll have plenty of advantages over the die hard all analog CCTV companies

they were installing VCRs?