billm

Router Interference?

I'm thinking about buying a new wireless router to use a PDA with my I-View, PC based DVR. I'm looking at Netgear's WPN824 54Mbps RangeMax and WGT624 108Mbps as well as Linksys' 54Mbps Wireless-G.

Any opinions, and why would anybody continue to purchase a 54Mbps router when 108 is available for the same or even lower price.

Finally, I have wireless telephones using 2.4 Ghz as well. Will a wireless router and my phones interfere with each other, my guess is they will?

Billm

My VOIP is on the same network as my dvr and 5 computers. I have the Wireless-G (69 us dollars) router and encounter no probs (I have a very fast cable line).

I think the 108Mbps is proprietary. So I think you would have to have a netgear card in your PDA. What will your PDA support? 802.11b 11g or 11a? I prefer linksys products myself.

It wont matter much for speed, as the PDA is slow anyway, you dont get fast video like you would on a PC. Its great quality though, and at least you can go on and see who is there, the refresh rate is very long though.

Rory

1. You won't see 108 mbs...ever. Even if you live in the middle of nowhere, you won't see that speed.

2. Some wireless routers will drop down the lowest standard on the network. If your PDA is A and the router is the B varient that tries to grab all of the 2.4 specturm, then you're limited to A speeds. Not all will, and some research is a good idea.

3. 2.4 phones and 2.4 routers generally cause conflict. So will most microwaves.

I tested Belkin, Netgear, and Linksys in my Network. VideoInsight PC card/server, IP printer, wireless laptop, (2) NAT IP drives, and a wirless DVR over a 400ft. bridge. Linksys was the best on wire and on wireless, range was not as good as the Netgear. Netgear did have a problem with TOO much traffic and I never figured out the prob...had to reset it many times. Linksys has been extremely stable and handles the traffic jams without any problems. Go with linksys, you won't be disappointed. If you wireless range is thin, buy a high gain antenna for it. BELKIN SUCKS!!!! Support is terrible, router setup and admin "sometimes" works, and the Parental Spam that Belkin embedded into their routers last year makes me wonder why Belkin thinks they are doing anybody a favor via that marketing practice. I'll never recommend or buy Belkin again. Do a WEB seaker on Belkin Spam.....you won't believe it until you read it.

Yes, that was a 3 point slam