jcd29

Help with CCTV system communication

Hi, I'm doing a paper about a proposal for integrating faraway cameras into an existing CCTV system.

The network already hast a 3com 5500 core switch connected by a 200m fiber with a 3com 8800 core switch. each switch is on a separate building.

the cctv system is on the building with the 8800 switch, it's a geovision system with more space for a few extra cameras.

The cameras will have a BNC connector with a balun, but a CAT5 cable, so I can't just assign IPs to the cameras to communicate to the other side. Which is why I was thinking about having a small switch connected to the 5500 to communicate it with the other side. The only thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is how the communication will be done. The cameras can be connected to the smalls witch, which connects tot he 5500, which then goes to the 8800 through fiber. After that I guess there can be a cable that goes to another small switch which will be directly connected to the dvr/video server, and just take out the cables through the same ports the cameras were initially connected? It sounds kinda shaky in my head, not sure if it would really work.

Any ideas? I'll attach I diagram of what I had planned, but any suggestions about the communication for these cameras is appreciated.

Baluns are NOT for turning analog cameras (BNC type) into IP ones. They simply allow you to use UTP cable (Cat5/6) to carry video and power to the camera. It's still an analog singal and CANNOT be directly plugged into a switch.

If you want to use analog cameras, you'll need to get an encoder at the camera end, and a decoder on the DVR end. Another option (and probably cheaper) is to just get another DVR for the building you want to add cameras. Then you can monitor both systems simultaneously using CMS software.

Yet another option would be to use all IP cameras at the other building, assuming that the DVR your using accepts IP cameras. Which, it probably doesn't. You may conatact GeoVision to see if its possible to purchase IP camera lisenses to upgrade your current system.

If you're using Geovision and running at least version 8.2, you can change your analog only to a hybrid by purchasing the appropriate USB dongle from Geovision and connect IP cameras to the system. You can get the license for either 1, 2, 4 etc. cameras per system.

One note though, if you use IP's make sure you have sufficient storage available on your DVR

Forgot to add that if you want to use existing analog cameras, you could purchase a video server which will allow you to assign IP addresses to each camera. Only drawback is that you can only run 2 cameras per video server, at least Geovision's version.

So if I were to connect an analog camera with a balun on one end, and into a patch panel on another end, which then goes out to the DVR with a balun, it wouldn't work?

How are these cameras usually connected in long cable runs? Because the building I have in mind currently has a couple of analog cameras using CAT5, and some are very far away from the DVR. So I'm wondering what they could be doing to extend the signal beyond CAT5's limitations?

Yes it could work, if the length is not too great. If memory serves me correctly, I believe most passive baluns have a maximum distance of 1000ft using cat5. Active baluns (amplified) have a maximum distance of 1500ft on cat5. It can vary on the manufacturer though...

What is the length that you need? For extra long runs you can use fiber, but that can be extreamly expensive and you'd be better off buying another server and putting it on the network closer to where you'd like the cameras to be mounted.

Long range wireless IP transievers like from Ubiquiti are an option as long as line of sight can be established, but probably not practicle in this application...

With quality cable and active baluns on both ends, I've run CAT5 out to almost 3000 feet with no problems.

As for running one end with a balun and trying to get a digital signal into a patch panel, forget it. Impedence mismatch and signal differences.

Ah, sorry I just figured it would have the same 100m limitations as a normal ethernet cable.

I guess this makes things a little easier for me, thanks for the info.

It's just that when talking to a project manager, he told me I could connect the cameras to a cctv hub/(or video server I guess) to connect it to both cores on both ends, that way I could take advantage of the existing fiber communication between the two buildings, thus saving on any cabling I'd have to do, or on an extra server.

So there's absolutely no way, then?

Are there spare fiber lines that arn't being used?

Yeah, it's a 12 pair single mode fiber, and only two pairs are being used right now.

Could I use something like this?

Connecting the cameras to each BNC input, then use the extra fiber pairs to connect it to the video transceiver on the other end?

I'll post the link in the next post, since the system isn't letting me.

Still can't post it. It's at the Aventura Technologies website.

Under

Surveillance Products > Video Fiber Transmitters & Receivers

8 Channel Video Fiber Optic Transmitter/Receivers

I've never used anything from that supplier, but yes. Something like that will work fine.

Again, make sure you compare the cost of adding a fiber video reciever/ transmitter versuses adding a new DVR. I still think getting a new DVR and putting it on their network would make more sense... Plus you could get a hybrid unit that is capable of recording both IP and analog cameras. If you invest the money in that expensive multichannel fiber rx/tx, you'll always be stuck using analog cameras and be confined to how many channels are on the tx/rx.

I've never used anything from that supplier, but yes. Something like that will work fine.

Again, make sure you compare the cost of adding a fiber video reciever/ transmitter versuses adding a new DVR. I still think getting a new DVR and putting it on their network would make more sense... Plus you could get a hybrid unit that is capable of recording both IP and analog cameras. If you invest the money in that expensive multichannel fiber rx/tx, you'll always be stuck using analog cameras and be confined to how many channels are on the tx/rx.

Yeah it is right and you really adding some point here as, this can be done like this.

Thanks!