jets

Help sought connecting to video encoder/ server over intenet

Greetings- I have been searching posts and am amazed at the tons of information. Thanks to all those that have posted. I'm just wanting some specific info.

I have a small device about the size of a cigarette pack that contains an analog to digital video converter and web server. Theoretically I can connect to it remotely over web and view live video.

After pinging network to make sure I didn't select an already active IP address, I assigned the device an IP address and subnet mask of the same 'group' or whatever its called: 192.168.1.xx and 255.255.255.0

It is working on the LAN, but I can't connect over web.

I have tried forwarding various ports, e.g. 80, 8080, 3777 and used ipchicken to see the cable modem/router's outside IP address. Yes, I enabled the port forwarding in the router.

There's a selection parameter in the router for TCP, UDP or both.

What should that be set to? What does that effect? I initially set it to 'both'.

From a remote PC in another state, using Internet Explorer, the following was entered, although I don't know if this is the correct format I should be using (the following is a made-up ip address): http://12.345.567.34:80, where 80 is the forwarded port. I tried 80, 8080, and 3777. Each time of course I configured the video server's port # to correspond.

Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong? I'm new to networking and would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Jeff

Sounds like you're doing everything right so far. Try setting the device's IP in the router as "DMZ" (Demilitarized Zone) - essentially that completely unblocks that IP, and any ports that aren't forwarded somewhere else will go there instead. That should remove any firewall issues as well.

Offhand, I can't think of a problem, unless the ISP on the server's end doesn't allow incoming connections *at all*. Is the router in this case a combination broadband modem/router? If not, try bypassing the router and plugging the server directly into the modem.

Also, at remote PC, the http://12.345.567.34:80 address was listed as a trusted site.

If your using port 80 you don't have to had the :80 to the ip address

Thanks- I tried it with 80, 8080, 3777 and 37777 and entered separate trusted sites each time i changed port-forwarding configurations.

Are you saying that for only the instance where the server is set to communicate on port 80 that I don't need to add it to the ip address?

Am I correct then, to use the format of http://:?

Sounds like you're doing everything right so far. Try setting the device's IP in the router as "DMZ" (Demilitarized Zone) - essentially that completely unblocks that IP, and any ports that aren't forwarded somewhere else will go there instead. That should remove any firewall issues as well.

Offhand, I can't think of a problem, unless the ISP on the server's end doesn't allow incoming connections *at all*. Is the router in this case a combination broadband modem/router? If not, try bypassing the router and plugging the server directly into the modem.

Thanks for reply.

A combo modem/ router is present at the client's/ video server site. Have you found that using a separate modem would allow connection where it couldn't occur via the combo router?

Thanks for reply.

A combo modem/ router is present at the client's/ video server site. Have you found that using a separate modem would allow connection where it couldn't occur via the combo router?

Not as such, but it would allow you (or the client) to plug the encoder directly into the modem so it has an "outside" IP and gives you direct access to it, thus possibly eliminating the router and port forwarding as a problem.

What's the make/ model of the encoder that you have? Have you logged into the device locally and check what port that it's setup to use? I've seen sometimes that the default that it says it should be in the manual is different than what it shipped with... Hope this helps.

Sometimes, when I have a not-so-well documented device, especially one that uses client software, I connect up with the device on a local network connection, and then open a DOS window, and run "netstat -a" to show all connections and ports open, this can help you find "mystery" operating ports.

Sometimes, when I have a not-so-well documented device, especially one that uses client software, I connect up with the device on a local network connection, and then open a DOS window, and run "netstat -a" to show all connections and ports open, this can help you find "mystery" operating ports.

Ah.. hardwired et al: thanks very much.

Just b4 I read this latest post, I used canyouseeme.org to check port openings and every port I typed in showed up as blocked. Not wanting to type in a bunch of ports to find an open one, I used the 'DMZ' function on the Linksys router to forward ALL ports to the static IP I'd assigned to the server. ANd Voila!

yippee!

I was able to connect via IE using my unappended external router IP address as indicated by ipchicken.com

hardwired: I just did the netstat -a thing, thanks, and I see all the info: various labels of 'listening', 'close_wait', 'time_wait' and 'established'

which one's refer to open, available ports? what do those statuses mean? could all the 'established' one's refer to the myriad web connections I now have open?

Thanks all.. I'm almost there. Woo-hoo!

BTW the device is www.approtech.com/product_info.php?cPat ... cts_id=236

very cool product for my application