carsonsunart

DVR capability

I have returned to the world of cctv after an abscence of 10 years. My how things have changed. Question; If a DVR records say 50 fps and your system has 4 cameras, it would follow that to get the recorded fps per camera you would divide the 50 fps by 4 [cameras]. The real question is if I only install 2 cameras could I attain real time recording ie, 25 fps for each camera. Or, would the answer really depend on the type of DVR I use.

I have returned to the world of cctv after an abscence of 10 years. My how things have changed. Question; If a DVR records say 50 fps and your system has 4 cameras, it would follow that to get the recorded fps per camera you would divide the 50 fps by 4 [cameras]. The real question is if I only install 2 cameras could I attain real time recording ie, 25 fps for each camera. Or, would the answer really depend on the type of DVR I use.

Welcome back!

You are correct, it would depend to some degree on the DVR - some allow you to divide the total FPS among the cameras as you desire (for example, you could have two cameras at 20fps, two at 5fps), while others will divide the total evenly across all channels and that's your maximum per-channel. In your case though, either way, you should be able to get 25fps each with only two cameras.

Generally speaking, if it is a 4 channels DVR with 50fps recording frame rate, that is to say, each camera can only get 12.5fps...