ghostrider2142

People and Cars leaving artifacts? Why is this happening

that looks like a compression problem. the codec is either not set up correctly or processor has a problem with data flow (can't handle spikes in data flow when objects are moving. i understand thats typical of eg using mpeg2 chips to encode mpeg4 or underpowered cpu)

I'm afraid this may be my last EH5216 I install unless there is some fix for this.

I was planning to place an order for one of these. I've been looking for a rackmount hybrid and the price on these is very attractive. Would be nice if Avermedia could resolve this with a firmware upgrade, but as has been suggested, perhaps the EH5216 is just underpowered to handle muti-channel compression.

Best,

Christopher

This is a snapshot of what is common. Anything that moves looks hairy

Check out the legs and such. This is from a recent install where they didn't remove the temporary heater from the ceiling yet. Now imagine when the person is walking by.....think there is a chance to pause on the picture NO WAY unless the person happens to stop for a second so it is clear enough. I do have the major ghosting as well but I just rewind and replay and that clears up. The drives I have are 2TB WD's. This is nothing to do with drives. The picture is the same at the DVR and also on the backed up video playing if back from a separate PC all together.

I'm afraid this may be my last EH5216 I install unless there is some fix for this. It is obvious and recreatable each and every time you play back you can't deny it's there. I have it set on 720x480 and 15FPS currently. This is a pharmacy and the state mandates 15FPS.

20091219130329.th.jpg

116594_1.jpg

116594_2.jpg

Happy Holidays!!!

You need to enable Deinterlace. That should fix that.

Update: Just changed the drive out for a new WD 1TB and nothing has changed.

Are you getting this problem locally at the monitor output from the DVR, or just over the network or internet?? If its the latter then the DVR itself would not normally be the problem, I would try it from another computer and internet connection. Also what OS are you using?

According to the data sheet: "Support static as well as dynamic de-interlacing for smoother graphics"

I'm guessing there is an option for static vs dynamic de-interlacing. Did you try setting this option for moving objects?

Best,

Christopher

According to the data sheet: "Support static as well as dynamic de-interlacing for smoother graphics"

I'm guessing there is an option for static vs dynamic de-interlacing. Did you try setting this option for moving objects?

Best,

Christopher

You know I did not try the different settings. Currently it is set on option 1 which is static. To be honest I figured that meant a fixed camera versus a PTZ which is always moving I'm currently away until after the new year but when I get back I'll try option 2 to see if that helps.

Do you not experience the same issue?

Best,

Christopher

You know I did not try the different settings. Currently it is set on option 1 which is static. To be honest I figured that meant a fixed camera versus a PTZ which is always moving I'm currently away until after the new year but when I get back I'll try option 2 to see if that helps.

Do you not experience the same issue?

HAH! You've run into the same issue with the software here as I often do. Entering the word PTZ" causes the software to hiccup and add part of what appears to be a definition ((Pan Tilt Zoom) capabilites.">). Perhaps an Admin can fix this problem; along with the other problem where typing beyond a page height causes scrolling to become a problem - you can't see what you type.

I have it set to Deinterlace 2 currently without any improvement. I have also tried Off and Deinterlace 1 as well. I am currently seeing the same types of images as 3RDIGLBL posted as well as the trailing artifacts the I posted in the youtube clip earlier.

I have it set to Deinterlace 2 currently without any improvement. I have also tried Off and Deinterlace 1 as well. I am currently seeing the same types of images as 3RDIGLBL posted as well as the trailing artifacts the I posted in the youtube clip earlier.

Have you contacted Avermedia technical support?

Best,

Christopher

Have you contacted Avermedia technical support?

Best,

Christopher

Yes I have, and tomcctv has just let me know that they are working on a patch. But I am unclear on what the patch is going to fix.

This is a snapshot of what is common. Anything that moves looks hairy

Check out the legs and such. This is from a recent install where they didn't remove the temporary heater from the ceiling yet. Now imagine when the person is walking by.....think there is a chance to pause on the picture NO WAY unless the person happens to stop for a second so it is clear enough. I do have the major ghosting as well but I just rewind and replay and that clears up. The drives I have are 2TB WD's. This is nothing to do with drives. The picture is the same at the DVR and also on the backed up video playing if back from a separate PC all together.

I'm afraid this may be my last EH5216 I install unless there is some fix for this. It is obvious and recreatable each and every time you play back you can't deny it's there. I have it set on 720x480 and 15FPS currently. This is a pharmacy and the state mandates 15FPS.

20091219130329.th.jpg

116594_1.jpg

116594_2.jpg

Happy Holidays!!!

Can you tell me what frame rates you are getting over the net when you have 9 channels displayed? I am getting 0-1 per channel and maybe 9-10 in single channel. I have a comcast connection with 2.5Mbs up.

Yes I have, and tomcctv has just let me know that they are working on a patch. But I am unclear on what the patch is going to fix.

I just finished a chat session with Avermedia and they are working now to duplicate and resolve the problem.

Best,

Christopher

I just finished a chat session with Avermedia and they are working now to duplicate and resolve the problem.

Best,

Christopher

Have you heard anything new about a patch to fix the problems?

Thanks

AverMedia tech support sent me an email several minutes ago. They are unable to duplicate the problem and requested additional information. I had sent them a link to this thread so they could investigate, but I have not yet placed an order for the EH5216 so I don't have any additional information beyond what is included in this thread. I assume those who have an EH system with de-interlacing problems have been in contact with AverMedia and will keep us posted re any progress.

Best,

Christopher

AverMedia tech support sent me an email several minutes ago. They are unable to duplicate the problem and requested additional information. I had sent them a link to this thread so they could investigate, but I have not yet placed an order for the EH5216 so I don't have any additional information beyond what is included in this thread. I assume those who have an EH system with de-interlacing problems have been in contact with AverMedia and will keep us posted re any progress.

Best,

Christopher

I had just sent them an email as well with a link to this thread, guess you beat me to it.

Oh, I have also noticed that the artifacts in the images that 3RDIGLBL posted did not appear on my system until I did the most recent firmware update.

Hey ghostrider, have you confirmed that it is a possible firmware issue? Did you upgrade to the latest firmware again in order to validate that issue follows the new firmware and corrects itself again when you downgrade? If so I will downgrade my recent three installs to alleviate this issue.

I can't see how Avermedia can't reproduce this if we are all having this issue and all three of mine are having it. It's not the first time I run into this with Aver. I was having issues with an IP camera configuration and motion detection and after trouble shooting with the tech I sent the unit back. They said they could not reproduce it in house so I asked what cameras they were using and they were all analog cameras. I told them that the issue I had was with all IP cameras and I never heard another thing back from it.

This issue is very easily reproduced and happens right away on all the systems I purchased. Maybe Aver is not using the latest firmware so they are not seeing the issue. I know Aver reads this forum so please confirm Aver that this issue is a figment of all our imaginations.

Please confirm the ideal settings you are using and maybe we all have the wrong settings. I hope it is that easy. My latest install was in a pharmacy and they want to keep an eye the work areas. Kind of stinks when you look at hand motions of the workers they are all blurry until they stand still. Defeats the purpose for this application. I will give it a week or so to see if I can resolve it and if not I will be replacing this Avermedia EH5216 with another manufacturer because I'm not seeing any forward moving work on resolving this issue. My install requires 15FPS and I should be seeing a nice fluid motion recording at this rate.

Thanks.

OK in my case I can now officially chock this off as inexperience with Aver products. I'm not used to setup and video playback and I did not set the de-interlacing properties correctly. Speaking with a very knowledgable Avermedia rep he was able to walk me through this and show me that it was user error.

I'm glad it turned out that way because I can easily correct this issue.

OK in my case I can now officially chock this off as inexperience with Aver products. I'm not used to setup and video playback and I did not set the de-interlacing properties correctly. Speaking with a very knowledgable Avermedia rep he was able to walk me through this and show me that it was user error.

Can you let us know what changes you had to make in order to get an improved image?

Thanks

Can you let us know what changes you had to make in order to get an improved image?

Thanks

I already stated it. During playback I just switched the de-interlacing properties on. There are two settings for de-interlacing (1 or 2) and just try them both and use the one that works best for you. I'm still not totally satisfied with the playback image. I still find it to have a bunch of interlacing problems but the improvement to the image I had is is huge. Hopefully they improve on the playback quality some more in the next firmware release. Last release was in November so hopfully a new version of firmware will come out in February or so.

I already stated it. During playback I just switched the de-interlacing properties on. There are two settings for de-interlacing (1 or 2) and just try them both and use the one that works best for you. I'm still not totally satisfied with the playback image. I still find it to have a bunch of interlacing problems but the improvement to the image I had is is huge. Hopefully they improve on the playback quality some more in the next firmware release. Last release was in November so hopfully a new version of firmware will come out in February or so.

Yeah it was strange, I tested another DVR which has been OEM'd from Korea, and it has that same feature, one has to turn on de interlace on playback. I didnt check but I wonder if when you save the video for evidence sharing, if enabling deinterlace in playback makes any differences.

Yeah it was strange, I tested another DVR which has been OEM'd from Korea, and it has that same feature, one has to turn on de interlace on playback. I didnt check but I wonder if when you save the video for evidence sharing, if enabling deinterlace in playback makes any differences.

Rory, Ya it does. All I did was enable deinterlacing during playback on my PC. The QPlayer software has a deinterlacing feature that was not enabling and the video was horrible as my picture shows and when I enabled the deinterlacing during playback the lines vanished.

I still have some deinterlacing issues though directly on the DVR unit itself during playback. Although enabling deinterlacing clears up some of that I'm still not satisfied with the playback quality. For the price I guess what more can I ask from a 16 channel Hybrid. I just think this stuff could be cleared up with proper engineering of the firmware. I'm hoping the next firmware makes some improvements.

UPDATE>>>>>>>

Lockups are happening now, not exactly lockup as the DVR is still responsive but the video is frozen and all ethernet functions appear to be non-functional. My first two installs with this DVR are all MP Cameras (strictly IP). I got a phone call at the beginning of the week stating that the DVR froze. I went onsite, and although the video was froze the DVR was fully responsive. I reset the wireless equipment I had at this site and the switches etc but nothing worked until I rebooted the DVR. I reported the incident to Avermedia and I set up a reboot schedule in hopes not to get this again.

Well I get another call yesterday but this time at my customers other location. They reported the same thing there. The LIVE video is just frozen in time (stopped with a static image). This site is also strictly an IP environment. Remote access failed and it seemed like the ethernet functions just plain failed on this DVR also. I reset the Cisco switch and power supplies and nothing worked until we rebooted the DVR. When the DVR came back up it's as if nothing happened. I setup a reboot schedule on this DVR also.

So I have three of these units in the field and the ones that have been running for about 1.5 months of continuous operation both failed with the same identical characteristics. I now have reboot schedules setup so I hopefully don't get another call from my customer but there is an obvious issue there that needs to be resolved. I've contacted Avermedia on both incidents and provided them with what I can for information. Again both units are strictly running IP setups so I'm not sure if my other customer who is all analog will have this issue in another month from now.

Yet something else that I hope gets looked at in the next firmware release.