echobot

Standalone DVR alarm input question

I have a cheap Chinese made DVR that has 8 alarm inputs, it's a 8 channel DVR, but I don't know how to activate the inputs.

These inputs are not NO/NC contacts. They seem to be some sort of digital signal input. I guess.

If I connect a wire to one of the inputs and hold the wire in one hand, and put my other hand around a lighted fluorescent bulb the alarm will trigger.

My question is how to I trigger these inputs using a motion sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Just a guess, but the alarm is probably triggered by pulling it to ground, or possibly positive. Assuming it is triggered by pulling it to ground, the NO contact on the PIR would be connected to the DVR alarm and Common on the PIR would be connected to ground.

Best,

Christopher

I did try both a positive voltage and a ground to the chassis with no luck. Do you think it has to be a earth ground?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi.

Normally there's an alarm common (signal ground) which is distinct from the chassis ground.

It's also possible the inputs need to have 2.2k resistors, so they go from 2.2k to open or 2.2k to closed. That means placing the resistor in parallel for NO and in series for NC.

Have you tried finding a model number (ignoring any branding, if any) and just searching google for the model number for a manual?

-Craig

Craig,

I think I have it figured out. I applied 5v to the inputs and it seems to be working now.

There is no common for the alarm inputs and I tried contacting the place I bought it from but no response from them.

The manual that came with it gives no explanation for the alarm inputs. I guess that's what you get when you buy cheap.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Just a guess, but the alarm is probably triggered by pulling it to ground, or possibly positive. Assuming it is triggered by pulling it to ground, the NO contact on the PIR would be connected to the DVR alarm and Common on the PIR would be connected to ground.

Best,

Christopher

hi Christopher,

This is what I usually follow and in case if I find something better option then I will definitely look ahead to move forward.

As, standalone DVRs are always better to have and you will get this $120.

Thanks!