Wildcat1

Cams In Colorado

Hi all

new to the forum and love it so far. I am in the process of building a residential system (potentially PC based) and am now trying to get my head around cameras. As I am in Colorado I wanted to know is it better to go the IP based route for better pic quality (in night as well) and simpler wiring etc ?

If I go analog must I use a heater/blower combo in my area or are there cams out there that will survive

Thanks all for any help you can offer on brand, recommendations etc

where in CO...I have a Partner in Aurora......

start with your budget, then figure out number of cams/locations your need, and in a DVR (PC or standalone), then apply IP or analog.

IP will provide better pics but the cost is 3 times that of analog.

pm me if you want a POC there....

VST

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to stay under $2k if I can. I know this may sound overkill for a residential system but I have high expectations. I have a high end PC and have been in the technology industry for many years so am happy with that part of it (setting up system, installing card etc). I am however blown away by the minefield that seems to be CCTV manufacturers (DVR related)

Cam wise I think I can get away with a minimum of 4 outside and maybe 2 in for a total of know more than 6 cams for now. I certainly understand the cost increase of megapixel cams but am loving what I am seeing in terms of quality. My thought there being do I get 1-2 middle of the road IP cams and some cheaper analog as well.

Setup wise I have gone back and forth on standalone DVR or PC based system. If I go with PC here is what I have so far:

Aver NV-6240 card or even one of the Geovision's like the 1240. Something that I can get full D1 at least at 30fps.

Thats however where I get stumped because again the multitude of cams out there is mind boggling especially those that are unbranded/rebranded. I need day/night cams and also obviously will need those weatherproof. Was hoping I would not need heaters and blowers due to extra installation etc.

Am thinking of going the POE route as sets me up for the future and I can run it pretty simply. So costs I have so far as follows:

6240 - $650 approx

Netgear POE Switch - $270

Which leaves the remainder ($1080 max) for a starter kit of cams.

Hope that helps define it a little more. I am considering mounting the 4 initial outdoor cams under the eaves of a 2 story house so distance to ground or viewable target will be quite long as well.

Any reco's or further help is greatly appreciated. I cannot PM yet as still new and submitting posts.

Thanks

WC

where in CO...I have a Partner in Aurora......

start with your budget, then figure out number of cams/locations your need, and in a DVR (PC or standalone), then apply IP or analog.

IP will provide better pics but the cost is 3 times that of analog.

pm me if you want a POC there....

Forgot to also ask I see cards like the 6240 stating 640x480 or 720x480 etc is that just for analog and they will support the 1600x1200 of Megapixel cams or do I need something different if I ever want the full res available from those cams ?

Thanks

one thing about IP cams is FPS restrictions of the IP cmas themselves and overall resolution recorded. most IP cams are restricted to 8fps at highest resolution and if you get anything better than that you end up paying mega bucks for the IP cam......

what are you recording? home or business? what type of business? If it's a home you can back off your 30fps since YOU DON'T need it....trust me when I say this.......you fine at 7 - 15 fps....15fps being very high for a home. that also goes for the resolution.....one or two cams at IP mega with the rest at 520yvl analog id fine.

If it were me I'd start with a aver 6240 and 8 analog cams.....get the cheap 520tvl outdoor domes with IR......then budget your upgrades based on experience of these cheaper cams over IP cams.

reality is; the more you spend on cams the more they cost to replace. sometimes presenting lots of analog cams provides the "statement" you want all to see....I got cams, go somewhere else!

and you are correct to question IP cam resolution as recorded on the DVR..aver has it's restrictions/capabilities but if you build it as a simple system and improve later you'll do fine.

matching a system to a requirement is a skill.....and some out here will attached a 10k camera to a $40 dollar requirement if they can sell it. be weary of over building it as you'll always need more.........

CCTV junkyism........

VST, thanks again for the reply. This is a residential system so would prefer to get as close to real broadcast FPS as possible (due to my background ). However will settle for 15 FPS. With that said, the state I live in and the weather etc are there any particular domes you would recommend along ?

Also I know that with a standalone DVR I run power and video on the simple cable together, how do I run multiple power sources to the cams when running through a PC based DVR ?

Thanks for the help, sure I will have more questions so hope you don't mind

WC

POE is for IP cameras, not CCTV cameras.

If you want night vision, stick to CCTV cameras, unless you are willing to spend alot.

I hardly ever run coax (RG59) to cameras anymore and I never run the cheap "simple cable".

If you run CAT5, you can use passive baluns to carry both video and power to each of the analog cams. Plus it's easy to upgrade to IP MP cams later as they continue to decrease in price or your budget allows. CAT5 is pretty versitle and it's nice to only run cable once...

I've had bad luck with simple cable. It breaks easy and is prone to interferance from lots of things...

As far as power for the analog cams, use a fused distributed power supply. It's a single box that can power 4, 8, or 16 cameras (aka channels). Believe it or not, I've had good luck with the cheap ones on Amazon. Altronix are good but pricey.

As far as cams, VST Man has you on right track... However there are thousands of cameras to choose from with those specs. Lots of good ones, but even more bad ones. Once you think you've found one you want, order just 1 and test the heck out of it before you order more. Nothing beats a real world demonstration...

The only thing worse than a crappy camera is a whole box full of crappy cameras.

Just my 2 cents...

Wildcat, We're in Westminster bud. If you want to see some of this technology first hand give me a ring. We don't sell to end users, we're the manufacture so no strings attached. Just thought I'd offer you a place to see IP/Megapixel/DVR's/NVR's and analog cameras in person.