cam2

Cable question

Hi,

could CT100 cable be used for video instead of RG59 for runs of less than 20m?

Should be fine,

both 75Ohm cables, RG59 much more lossy than CT100 so if anything, CT100 should be better. I think losses on RG59 over 100m is about 12db, CT100 is about 6.5db (thats at 100Mhz) if memory serves me right.

Costs of these cables at RS Components is about the same too, CT100 slightly more expensive.

CT100 is low loss and used for drop feeds from LNB of a satellite dish to a satellite digital TV receiver, such as Sky TV in the UK. RS info says suitable for Video/CCTV use too.

Gary

www.abidale.com

As MrMcauber suggested no problem at all.

CT 100 way outperforms RG 59B/U, but because of its physical size, it can sometimes be harder to get hold of suitable connectors.

Also the double screening can be particularly useful in some situations where there is a risk of airborne interference, but in practice, for anything less than 50 metres, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the pictures apart.

never heard of ct100, is it a UK cable type? We use Rg6 for Sat down here, and it outperforms Rg59 by around 300 foot or so. You can easily get twist on BNC connectors for RG6.

Thanks for the info,

i had the ct100 in place so best use whats in if you can!

CT 100 is high quaity sattelite cable which performs much better than rg6 for digital signals due to its low loss.Just checking to see if it was ok with camera's.