Hi WireGuys,

If you can provide a few more specifics to your question, I might be able to help. For instance, what situations are you thinking of using analytics for...perimeter control, business intelligence, etc? Are you thinking of systems that can work with existing assets, or add-on hardware (servers or edge-based on the camera)?

Overall, there are a number of limitations to how useful video analytics currently are, in terms of what they can do reliably. The biggest issue, by far, is false positives which lead to a low "signal-to-noise" ratio which can quickly disappoint a client whose expectations were set by watching Hollywood movies.

In any case, if you can provide more details, I'd be happy to comment further.

Adam

I'm interested in two analytics in particular.

1. Is a video motion alarm due to a car driving by or a person walking by?

2. Exceptionally good (i.e. human-like) PTZ that follows a person and zooms in and out to maximize facial recognition.

ioimage has marketing videos that demonstrate both of these, but I'd be interested to know if real-world situations hold up to the marketing claims.

Best,

Christopher

Edit: PS: Most DVRs/NVRs only record without any video analytics, but a few (Blue Iris ???) do some video analytics. Are there any others, and do they perform well?

I'm interested in two analytics in particular.

1. Is a video motion alarm due to a car driving by or a person walking by?

2. Exceptionally good (i.e. human-like) PTZ that follows a person and zooms in and out to maximize facial recognition.

ioimage has marketing videos that demonstrate both of these, but I'd be interested to know if real-world situations hold up to the marketing claims.

Best,

Christopher

Edit: PS: Most DVRs/NVRs only record without any video analytics, but a few (Blue Iris ???) do some video analytics. Are there any others, and do they perform well?

http://www.aimetis.com/

You can download a 60 day full demo. But I found their software not very easy to use and you can only run like 10-16 cameras per Xeon server when you use the video analytics.

www.isscctv.com

is another.

But the IOImage stuff looks really good.

you can only run like 10-16 cameras per Xeon server when you use the video analytics.

Yes, well, no matter how you slice it, video analytics is going to take some serious processing power. Either some heavy processing power at the camera or video server, or lots more power at the DVR if many cameras are simultaneously supported. The good news is that this problem is easily distributed as the decisions at each camera are relatively independent, but it still takes power.

Here's another to add to the list at http://www.dvrusa.com/PT2300DV.asp

Best,

Christopher