Chrispy66

Need help understanding pin configuration DVR to PC

Hello All,

Once again I am calling on my mentors here to help enhance my technolologically illiterate mind on the wonders of todays video surveillance world. I have a SDC9004 9 channel DVR (AVTECH 776/ KTL9004) It has a output and a plug kit for downloading video to an external device or remotely controlling the unit e.t.c.

I am ignorant to this whole technology so please forgive me if im asking stupid questions.

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but from my understanding of the vague instruction manual, I want to be able to view and interact with the DVR (as far as using an actual mouse to interact with and navigate) as well as save certain events on my Dell XPS laptop. The manual gives you a pin configuration for the enclosed plug kit so you can make a wire that gives you this ability (suposedly). Can anyone help with this?

Wouldn't it normally use a network connection between PC and DVR? Anything showing standard ethernet/RJ45 pinouts would apply...

What you are possibly looking at it is actually the RS232/RS485 controler - and this is most likely to control the PTZ or for a remote keyboard device - as mentioned above, most DVR's now have ethernet capability so that you can load software on your dell and perform basic controls - however if you are trying to remotely activate the buttons attached to the device via attached cable then this is where the above mentioned RS option would help - Basically if you want to see the cameras and look at recordings on your Delll then you should be able to sue the software, however if you want to control the screens that are connected directly to the device then you may need the RS Options - or perhaps this model has a remote device that wires in the same way

Thank you Down Under

Your correct in stating what my objective here is. RS is what the platform is and this I should have stated on my initial post. Also is there a generic software out there that would work with this cheap DVR?

I am not sure what you are trying to do.

It sounds like you have a DVR without the network connection. It does have a DB pin where you can cannect to an AVTech Server to the DVR to get it on the internet.

You will not be able to wire your computer to it, and control it. It does not have a PC mother board.

You will not be able to use a mouse. It is not set up for a mouse, and if you could wire it up correctly it would not work with the menu.

You can control the DVR using keystrokes but it is a pain. At the back of the manual is the appendix that show what keys do what control.

Please note that the hard drive is not hot swappable!

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your reply Scorpion. Sounds like I bought a piece of crap. I was told it did those things, as the small package with a plug and pinset enclosed in the box when I received it. The very short as well as iliterate manual written and translated by a chinese third grader indicated that the enclosed connector kit was for RS232 or something communication. As well as pc control. Very vague on that. The unit is from Security Cameras Direct, but you can see the unit was clearly just repackaged. The only differance between this DVR and the exact ones bearing the names, KTL CCTV DVR9004G160, Lorex 209, AVTech 776, is that my SCD 9004G160 is black. Wow back to the drawing board. Im just gonna have to chaulk up this as a thousand dollar learning experience. Well at least my cameras are crap too. Thanks again, I apreciate and respect your feedback. I am a car painter not a CCTV expert. I only wish I had spoke with you guys first before buying my system. Take care.

Chris

Do not chuck that DVR just yet!

This DVR is will run forever! This DVR is like the car where you drain the water out of the radiator, and drain all of the oil out of the pan and you drive it to see how far you get, and you go farther then you expected. It is like the timex watch. It just keeps on ticking. Make sure you buy a good UPS so that it can filter the power line fluctuations.

I would put this DVR on the "bullet" proof list. I have a few customers who I tried to talk out of installing them in their garage! We are talking about Florida summers here! They are still running. The power supply is not on a separate board as they do now adays. The power supply is the weakest point.

In two years when it stops recording just power down the DVR, and remove the cable to the hard drive, and reinstall the cable. This will clear up some of the "dirt" on the connection, and the DVR will record again. (assuming that you do not have other problems).

The only other known problem is to check the 42mm fan sitting on the chip. You will need to check that in about a year, and then every so often after that. You can buy them at a computer store if you need one in the future.

How much did you pay for the DVR? (or did you buy it as a kit)?

As for being repackaged. That is not a problem. There are various "flavors" for names. It is done for warranty purposes as they are world wide sellars of their products. If everyone had the same name then everyone would refuse warranty work as they would be afraid of repairing a device that you bought else where.

Sec Cam Dir has a pretty decent tech support group although it has been a while since I have dealt with them, but back then they were knowlegeable, and did a good job.

Does your DVR have an ethernet connection?

Also to other who read this post:

I would be interested in having any dead Avtech DVRs!

Hi Scorpion, thanks for your response. The DVR does not have ethernet connectivity. SCD said it did, but it does not. It has an io thus the connector kit included, which im still not 100 percent clear on. I can live without the mouse feature and even the lack of remote, but how do you offload video if need be? The only way I can see it is to physically sit there and find the event I want to capture, then record via a VCR or another DVR/PVR etc... I used to be able to network the DVR via a USB video capture card I bought years ago from X10. Lol. Now my new Dell is windows 7 and X10 doesnt support that and visaa versa. Overcoming the fact the DVR is not great and has many shortcomings, my cameras are my issue. They make many claims of quality and they say there superior night vision makes them some of the industries best for the buck. I say B.S!

They flicker so bad during the day that its actually hypnotic to look at them, they put you in a trance. At night there so grainy its like watching an old UHF channel on the old BW tv in the garage with a coat hanger for an antenna. I moved them around to fix problem. I bought newer more expensive cables per SCD's not so knowledgable tech staff. Nothing works. There solutions just make you purchase more of there junk. Thats what put me in this situation in the first place.

Anyways, I guess I'm at the point I need to at least salvage a tiny bit of my sanity here. I have decided my best move is to try new cameras. Due to my budget I can buy one, to replace one of the nine pieces of crap I bought. Any suggestions? The specs on mine are b.s. but they claim:

1/4" sharp ccd

420 LOR

120m long range IRs for night vision

6mm lense

and a whole lot more thats not true.

I have been looking at the links on this page, and to the left of us here theres a place called closeout cctv. They have Night Owl? with red wave technology and 1/3" sony super had cctv 540 LOR etc.. Are these for 120 bucks any good? I dont know, I'm gun shy now. Any help with feedback would be great. Thanks for all your help! I do apreciate it.

Sincerely Frustrated,

Chris

P.S.

This is the specs on that camera from closeout cctv I told you about. FYI

• click here

•540 lines resolution

•36 IR L.E.D infrared

•3.5 to 8 mm vari focal lens

•Professional series

•1/3" SONY CCD w/ ADVANCED DSPTM color camera

•Our 1/3 SONY CCD gives a much higher quality image than 1/4 CCD

•Two Year warranty