benf

Hybrid DVR for IP/analog cams - what brands/models?

I've done some reading and a hybrid DVR, one that can handle both IP and analog cam input, is something that may meet the needs for my setup. Aside from the usual basic DVR functionality I want to be able to hook up 8-16 cams and be able to access remotely via web browser. I'm looking for a standalone DVR but if there's something PC based with similiar functionality I'd look at that too.

So far I've found the AverMedia EH2516+

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=194

which is very close to what I'm wanting, but before I make the purchase decision was curious if there's other brands/manufacturers out there that I should be looking at. I've done some searches here and on Google but haven't found very much in the way of information.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

I've done some reading and a hybrid DVR, one that can handle both IP and analog cam input, is something that may meet the needs for my setup. Aside from the usual basic DVR functionality I want to be able to hook up 8-16 cams and be able to access remotely via web browser. I'm looking for a standalone DVR but if there's something PC based with similiar functionality I'd look at that too.

So far I've found the AverMedia EH2516+

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=194

which is very close to what I'm wanting, but before I make the purchase decision was curious if there's other brands/manufacturers out there that I should be looking at. I've done some searches here and on Google but haven't found very much in the way of information.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

avermedia is a good choice and i have over 30 units out. but please dont use the eh2516 it is new but it has some small faults and you wont be happy with it. take a look at the avermedia sa units. you have a lot more control and better images.

http://www.apexcctv.com/Support/Downloads/Standalones/Avermedia/SA6000E/SA6000EManual.pdf

I agree about the EH5216+. It has it's flaws and they are most annoying. I've spoke to a few folks that have communicated issues with Avermedia and no one is sure if the issue will be resolved. I like the unit, it's priced right but it is a bit crippled.

HOWEVER, the EH5216 will record in Megapixel (1.3MP across all channel and 3MP only on channel 16)

I've been reading about the SA series but I can find anywhere where it states that it records in MP resolution. Wonderful it supports all these IP cameras but can any of the SA models models record in MP resolutions?

I like the specs on the SA models but probably just a tad much for what I need. I see Avermedia also has a EH5116 model which I'm assuming is older than the 5216 but not sure what the differences between the two are. Curious also if it has the same negatives as the 5216.

I like the specs on the SA models but probably just a tad much for what I need. I see Avermedia also has a EH5116 model which I'm assuming is older than the 5216 but not sure what the differences between the two are. Curious also if it has the same negatives as the 5216.

yes the eh5116 is a very good dvr. i have just replaced a 5216. just looking at avermedia usa and avermedia uk they sell more types of dvr here than america. http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=168

I don't believe the 5116 is available here in the states. At least a few months back it was not when I wanted to try one out. I can't comment on it's performance.

tomcctv, what was the reason for the 5216 replacement? Customer did not like one or more of the reported performance flaws that have been widely discussed?

I don't believe the 5116 is available here in the states. At least a few months back it was not when I wanted to try one out. I can't comment on it's performance.

tomcctv, what was the reason for the 5216 replacement? Customer did not like one or more of the reported performance flaws that have been widely discussed?

yes bad image display and play back ghosting around image. anything with the 7.7 software has the problem. the 5116 has been out for just on 2 years and cheaper than the 5216.

Via google I see the 5116 available from a few reputable sellers here in the states so appears it can at least be purchased here, for now anyway. Guessing they don't stock and it's a special order but if you're not in a hurry probably doesn't matter.

As for the software issues in 7.7... assuming you have a unit with that on it can it be patched/downgraded to fix that?

I'm also concerned a little that it's "old", at least in computer years. Then again they aren't doing so well with the updated version!

Via google I see the 5116 available from a few reputable sellers here in the states so appears it can at least be purchased here, for now anyway. Guessing they don't stock and it's a special order but if you're not in a hurry probably doesn't matter.

As for the software issues in 7.7... assuming you have a unit with that on it can it be patched/downgraded to fix that?

I'm also concerned a little that it's "old", at least in computer years. Then again they aren't doing so well with the updated version!

yes you can upgrade and downgrade and also add ip patch. and all this is free. as far as old . remember all avers have the same viewing software.