todd2

Board Camera Permanent Install: ESD concerns valid?

Many board cameras come bare. Assuming I will wear a ground strap during the install itself,

do I need to coat or wrap the board in some protective material to avoid ESD issues? This

will be a vehicle install. Human hands will not normally come into contact with the board.

I've never worried about a ground strap when installing or handling ANY kind of camera... never had a problem with it yet.

The problem with ESD is that it doesn't always wreck the device immediately. You may do

damage that doesn't show up until months or years later, or when the device is subjected to

stress--voltage surges or high temperature. Any time you're down at 30-40% humidity and

your synthetic clothes pop with electricity when you put them on or take them off, it's

time for a wrist strap. For me, it's just not worth doing stuff twice because I'm too lazy to do it right

the first time.

Now, if you're at 60% humidity or better, it's probably not an issue at all.

I've been in the business (officially) for just over six years, I've never seen ANYONE use a ground strap while installing a camera.

Not saying you can't do it, just saying I've never heard of it being done.

Many board cameras come bare. Assuming I will wear a ground strap during the install itself,

do I need to coat or wrap the board in some protective material to avoid ESD issues? This

will be a vehicle install. Human hands will not normally come into contact with the board.

like soundy says. you dont need a ground strap. just dont touch the lens. most cameras will cope with a little static. and dose not cause a problem. take a look at ptz cameras steel gears with nylon belts. ideal combo for static but causes no problem.

Yeah, touching the lens is a way bigger concern - nothing like getting in there with a microfiber cloth trying to scrub the fingerprints off a board camera's little lens element