emholic

What is AI, BLC, ATW, MWB, AWB, SL, AES, AGC, MIR, Y/C ???

Lately I've been reading this forum and been getting schooled, I figure I could get some true professional information. I've been trying to really learn the CCTV Market since Jan 07. It's been 3 years and I really don't know Sh*t. So if you would, please School me.

I just did this job for my friends manufacturing facility. He had 10 Existing cameras already installed, so I added 54 more cameras. The camera That I put in is an Up and Coming Brand. When you take the existing Sanyo's and put them side by side with the Up and Coming Brand, there is a HUGE Difference. It's actually quite amazing.

Here is what my camera is seeing:

118463_1.jpg

Here is what my Black Berry (No flash) Camera see's:

118463_2.jpg

Here is what the Sanyo Camera is seeing:

118463_3.jpg

With my Black Berry (no Flash) seeing this:

118463_4.jpg

Now the reason the Subject line reads what it does is because when I look at the sanyo camera(Below) there are no dip switches... On my up and coming camera, there are... MANY...

118463_5.jpg

I know what the abbreviations stand for, but what do they actually do for the camera?

AI, (Auto Iris)

BLC, (Back Light Compensation)

ATW, (Auto Trace White)

MWB, (Manual White Balance)

AWB, (Auto White Balance)

SL, (Slow Shutter)

AES, (Auto Electronic Shutter)

AGC, (Auto Gain Control)

MIR, (Mirror)

Y/C (Luminance (Y) & Chromincance ©

Obviously the up and coming brand, has a sh*t image. I'm trying learn about these settings so i can set this camera appropriately.

Up and Coming Brand specs:

Image Sensor 1/3" High Resolution Color Sony CCD

Effective Pixels 811H x 508V

Scanning System 525 Lines 2:1 interlace

Resolution 540TVL (Color), 600TVL(B/W)

Shutter Speed 1/2 ~ 1/120,000

S/N Ratio more than 55dB

Sync. Systerm Internal

Min. Illumination 0.001 Lux (Slow Shutter, 32x)

Power Supply 8VDC~30VAC

Power Consumption 0.8W

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Now the reason the Subject line reads what it does is because when I look at the sanyo camera(Below) there are no dip switches... On my up and coming camera, there are... MANY...

I know what the abbreviations stand for, but what do they actually do for the camera?

AI, (Auto Iris)

ATW, (Auto Trace White)

SL, (Slow Shutter)

AGC, (Auto Gain Control)

MIR, (Mirror)

Auto-iris allows the camera to control the lens iris to adjust for varying lighting conditions. There are often two related options as well, DC and Video - DC means the camera actually controls the iris, Video means the camera only supplies power to the lens, and a sensor in the lens controls the iris.

Backlight compensation, to simplify, brightens the image so that dark objects can be seen in strong lighting conditions. This is most often used in instances where, say, the camera is facing a door where bright outside light will cause it to dim, and the lower indoor lighting means people (and particularly their faces) will simply be dark blobs.

White balance allows adjustments for different "temperatures" of lighting. Incandescent light, for example, tends to have a lot more red and yellow than other lights, while fluorescent tends to be more blue/green-ish. That's why you'll often see fluorescent light over the fresh veggies in the supermarket, but incandescent over the meats. Your eyes and brain process light to compensate for such color shifts, but because camera sensors see all colors equally, they'll show those color castes, unless you adjust the "white balance" to allow for it.

Slow shutter provides better low-light images by reducing the shutter speed below the normal, which allows more light to be collected by the sensor... however, that also allows motion blur to occur. Because of this, slow shutter is not normally useful for CCTV; there are instances where clear picture is more important than lack of blur, however, so this option is provided on some cameras.

The Mirror option simply flips the picture left-to-right, as if you were looking in a mirror. Some cameras also allow you to rotate or flip the image vertically (top to bottom). This can allow you to compensate for a number of different installation situations.

AI, (Auto Iris)

ATW, (Auto Trace White)

SL, (Slow Shutter)

AGC, (Auto Gain Control)

MIR, (Mirror)

Auto-iris allows the camera to control the lens iris to adjust for varying lighting conditions. There are often two related options as well, DC and Video - DC means the camera actually controls the iris, Video means the camera only supplies power to the lens, and a sensor in the lens controls the iris.

Backlight compensation, to simplify, brightens the image so that dark objects can be seen in strong lighting conditions. This is most often used in instances where, say, the camera is facing a door where bright outside light will cause it to dim, and the lower indoor lighting means people (and particularly their faces) will simply be dark blobs.

White balance allows adjustments for different "temperatures" of lighting. Incandescent light, for example, tends to have a lot more red and yellow than other lights, while fluorescent tends to be more blue/green-ish. That's why you'll often see fluorescent light over the fresh veggies in the supermarket, but incandescent over the meats. Your eyes and brain process light to compensate for such color shifts, but because camera sensors see all colors equally, they'll show those color castes, unless you adjust the "white balance" to allow for it.

Slow shutter provides better low-light images by reducing the shutter speed below the normal, which allows more light to be collected by the sensor... however, that also allows motion blur to occur. Because of this, slow shutter is not normally useful for CCTV; there are instances where clear picture is more important than lack of blur, however, so this option is provided on some cameras.

The Mirror option simply flips the picture left-to-right, as if you were looking in a mirror. Some cameras also allow you to rotate or flip the image vertically (top to bottom). This can allow you to compensate for a number of different installation situations.

That's great, thank you.

This Camera is known for Very Low Lighting conditions which is why there is a .001 LUX, BUT the reason I believe it can go so low is because of the Slow Shutter Speed. I can't see what this is useful is there is just a big blur...

Why can the Sanyo See so well and this camera not?

Does the Sanyo just automatically adjust to all lighting conditions?

Here is the Part #VCC 4594

Also if I set the camera for night operation, will it affect day time as well?

I've always wondered the difference between the "up and coming brand" and a Brand Name such as Sanyo, Pelco, etc... I'm guessing the brand name's aren't just hype...