ik1024

Which DVR is right for my setup?

Hello,

I have about 8 locations that require surveillance. Each location should have up to 16 video and 2 audio channels. Live streaming is more important than recording (but it should record as well). Each location has a 384k upstream connection.

I'm thinking of having an independent DVR to record and stream in each location.

I'd like to be able to view all locations from one computer with 4 huge screens attached to it, so the software must allow for multiple instances, or one instance should be able to connect to all locations. Alternatively, the system could have an API and use a standard streaming codec, and I would then write the aggregate application myself (but I prefer not to reinvent the wheel).

System should be robust (never crash, motion sensing/alert capabilities, etc).

Any advice on a particular brand for the locations? Any other advice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adpro Fastrace AFT5020. 20 channel , two way audio and cms software. Connect via adsl,pstn,isdn or 3g.

Nice bit of kit

Seriously... 16 video streams on a 384k uplink is going to be beyond painful. No DVR can overcome the laws of physics.

Right, but viewing one camera at a time should be OK as long as they're all recording. Just have to find the right system. Adpro seems very expensive!

Thanks

Vigil will do much (most) of what you're looking for, including a client that can connect to and view multiple sites on a single screen. I don't know about doing it on four screens - you could probably expand the single client view across four monitors with the appropriate video card, or just use one really big monitor. It will also record in a higher quality than it streams at, and can adjust the stream for your available bandwidth.

118619_1.jpg

Keep in mind, at some point, the downstream speed at your monitor station will start to become a bottleneck - eight simultaneous streams at 384k each is 3Mbps. You'll want to make sure your station has AT LEAST that much bandwidth (factor in other regular internet traffic as well).

Is Vigil an actual DVR system, or just the client software?

A bit off-topic, but is there such a device (or software for PC-based DVRs) that records and streams in an open standard format such that I can write my own client? I played around with zoneminder but am looking for something more robust (and not too happy with mjpeg streaming).

Thanks

Is Vigil an actual DVR system, or just the client software?

Full-on PC-based DVR/NVR system - you can buy just the software, the card and software, or the complete system. The client software is included free. There's an excellent central-management/health-monitor package with it as well, that works on a 30-day trial and will let you actively monitor all your sites and email alerts to you if anything goes wrong.

A bit off-topic, but is there such a device (or software for PC-based DVRs) that records and streams in an open standard format such that I can write my own client? I played around with zoneminder but am looking for something more robust (and not too happy with mjpeg streaming).

Thanks

Depends on how you define "open standard format". Vigil can record in both MJPEG and MPEG-4 (and H.264, I think, with some cards). AFAIK, the specs/SDKs for all are readily available.

Seriously... 16 video streams on a 384k uplink is going to be beyond painful. No DVR can overcome the laws of physics.

Lol! He's right... why is upgrading the ISP out of the question?

CNB Technology Latest 2010 H.264 Models

HSD4848DV

480 FPS full web control 2 ways audio 16 Audio and video with loop back Support HDD Archiving & Mirroring, Text in Text for POS with DVD-RW

Or

HDS4824

240FPS full web control 4 Audio and 16 video with loop back

Both come with CMS software for connecting 64 different sites to view on one computer