LoneWolf

Upgrading a system with sound for a Kennel operation

Hello All- I need some help and advice for upgrading and exisiting system. I run a small Kennel operation for animal rescue and have a system to monitor the animals for both security and so I can check on them during the hours when I can't be there. Currently, I have 10 cameras, 6 outsidide and 4 inside. All of the outside cameras are box style low lux, 1/3 sony CCD type and the image quality is sufficient for what I need. The inside cameras are cheaper dome style and the image quality isn't great, and backlighting is always an issue. My current DVR is a Digital Watchdog, the model says DW-ZA-16Pro-120. I don't know if its a current model or not as it is about 3-4 years old and we purchased it used at that time. From my understanding it is a pretty good DVR, and I've never had any issues with it. I think it uses JPEG2000 but I am unsure of all the detailed specs because I don't know if it is a current model or not.

My big problem is audio. The DVR I have does not do audio and I need to be able to have that function to hear whats going on with the dogs. I also would like to add some better dome cameras inside, ones that might do better with the backlighting coming from the windows above the indoor runs. I'm afraid I might need a new DVR to handle audio, unless someone knows a way to add it to the exisiting unit. Money is tight as we are a non-profit, so I've been looking at what is available on Ebay and know nothing of the brands and models out there.

Do any of you have any suggestions on an inexpensive good quality 16chanel DVR that can do sound? How good is and how sensitive is the sound quality? What about indoor dome cameras?

Thanks so much,

Kevin

Hello All- I need some help and advice for upgrading and exisiting system. I run a small Kennel operation for animal rescue and have a system to monitor the animals for both security and so I can check on them during the hours when I can't be there. Currently, I have 10 cameras, 6 outsidide and 4 inside. All of the outside cameras are box style low lux, 1/3 sony CCD type and the image quality is sufficient for what I need. The inside cameras are cheaper dome style and the image quality isn't great, and backlighting is always an issue. My current DVR is a Digital Watchdog, the model says DW-ZA-16Pro-120. I don't know if its a current model or not as it is about 3-4 years old and we purchased it used at that time. From my understanding it is a pretty good DVR, and I've never had any issues with it. I think it uses JPEG2000 but I am unsure of all the detailed specs because I don't know if it is a current model or not.

My big problem is audio. The DVR I have does not do audio and I need to be able to have that function to hear whats going on with the dogs. I also would like to add some better dome cameras inside, ones that might do better with the backlighting coming from the windows above the indoor runs. I'm afraid I might need a new DVR to handle audio, unless someone knows a way to add it to the exisiting unit. Money is tight as we are a non-profit, so I've been looking at what is available on Ebay and know nothing of the brands and models out there.

Do any of you have any suggestions on an inexpensive good quality 16chanel DVR that can do sound? How good is and how sensitive is the sound quality? What about indoor dome cameras?

Thanks so much,

Kevin

Hi kevin. you might be able to get away with filters on your dome cameras if it is just a light problem. as far as sound looking at the spec it will take 4 mics.

Edited by Guest

First, stay far away from Ebay. Too many scammers selling off brand sweatshop junk for 5 times it's value.

A quick Google search pulled up this:

ftp://ftp.digital-watchdog.com/Manuals/DVRs/16ZA-Pro%28NewGen%29/16ZA-PRO_%28DC%29_Manual.pdf

According to that manual, your DVR is capable of recording up to 4 audio channels. These RCA style inputs are located on the back of your unit, labeled "IN1, IN2, IN3, IN4." Page 38 of that manual will explain how to enable the audio recording functions on the DVR.

You will need to purchase additional hardware though. You need a microphone with a pre-amp. We've had good luck with the Louroe. Check out http://www.louroe.com/mics.asp?model=amic

That one has the pre-amp built in.

For your indoor cameras, I've recently started using Eclipse CCTV cameras. Fairly cheap but good quality. Any of their indoor dome cameras will work. If you need IR, I'm a big fan of the ECL-5HIA. If you don't need IR (to see in total darkness), the ECL-5HA is a good choice. Both those cameras are vari-focal meaning they can be zoomed in/ out during install for versatility.

Ok guys, I'm at the kennel now and pulled the DVR out to take a look, I didn't remember audio, but looked again based on what you all said. I'm right, there are no audio ports whatsoever. Perhaps this is an older generation of a current model? I might call Kelco on monday and ask, but this definetly does not have any audio ports. There are BNC 16 inputs and loops for cameras, a VGA port and two BNC video outs. Lots of alarm points and PTZ control stuff, but no RCA jacks .

So looks like a new DVR..?

Ok guys, I'm at the kennel now and pulled the DVR out to take a look, I didn't remember audio, but looked again based on what you all said. I'm right, there are no audio ports whatsoever. Perhaps this is an older generation of a current model? I might call Kelco on monday and ask, but this definetly does not have any audio ports. There are BNC 16 inputs and loops for cameras, a VGA port and two BNC video outs. Lots of alarm points and PTZ control stuff, but no RCA jacks .

So looks like a new DVR..?

if the dvr is working fine and you have no problems with it dont change it. how many places do you need to hear sound. and were are you ???

Are there any other markings indicating a model or part number on the unit? According to everything I found, this unit should have audio inputs...

But if not, then I recommend the Avermedia 5216+ Excellent unit, excellent value. 16 video AND audio channels in. And it's a hybrid meaning it can record new digital IP and IP megapixel cameras as well as your existing analog cameras. There is NOTHING else out there like it for the price...

http://www.avermedia-usa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=64

Ok guys, I 've got the dogs taken care of and tore apart the closet (rats nest as I call it) and pulled the DVR. It is as I said, but I took photos of it. It looks nothing like the current model. It does not have audio. I could get by with just 3 or 4 audio ports.

How does the audio work in monitoring? Do you hear all the audio inputs at once or do you hear the audio with each channel or what?

Also, one of my volunteers works next to a CCTV installer and told me he can get me an AVTECH 16 channel DVR with Audio and 1tb for $700. Or, if I want something better he can get a similarly configured SPECO for $900. Remember we are on a big time budget, so I am not looking for enterprise reliability. I looked up AVtech and they seem to be similar to many of the models out today just in a different box. They all seem to be made in Korea or Taiwan. Oh, and I do not need IP camera integration, too expensive for our needs right now.

119074_1.jpg

119074_2.jpg

I understand that your current needs do not require IP cameras. However, for very little money you can "future proof" your CCTV system. Sooner or later, IP Megapixel cameras will be the equivalent that DVDs or Blue rays are to VHS tapes.

We are in a turning point of CCTV technology. Why invest in yesterday's technology? Foolish in my book... Then again, I'm the guy that refused to spend $100 on a part that was needed to fix a 10 year old oven. $600 bought me a brand new oven. Stainless I might add...

Also, what is the FPS AND max resolution of the DVR that you have been told can be bought WITH a 1TB hard drive for $700? I guarantee it cannot hold a candle to even the analog capabilities of the Avermedia unit.... Not to mention the fact it's a hybrid...

$700 for a 16 channel unit of any kind WITH hard drive is too cheap. Total junk that I would never install for a client IMO...

You get what you pay for.

Here are the specs of the $700 DVR, he is giving us a "deal" because we are a 501©3 non profit.

Video System NTSC / PAL (auto detection)

Video Compression Format H.264

Video Input 16 Channels. Composite video signal 1 Vp-p 75? BNC

Video Loop Out 16 Channels. Composite video signal 1 Vp-p 75? BNC

Video Output Main Monitor BNC Output: Composite video signal 1 Vp-p 75? BNC

Call Monitor BNC Output: Composite video signal 1 Vp-p 75? BNC

Main Monitor VGA Output: for LCD or Computer Monitor up to 1600/1200

Maximum Recording Rate (Frame) 120 IPS @ 720×480 pixels / 100 IPS @ 720×576 pixels

Maximum Recording Rate (Field) 240 IPS @ 720×240 pixels / 200 IPS @ 720×288 pixels

Maximum Recording Rate (CIF) 480 IPS @ 352×240 pixels / 400 IPS @ 352×288 pixels

Adjustable Recording Speed Frame: 120,60,30, 15, 7, 3 IPS / 100,50,25, 12, 6, 3 IPS

Field: 240,120,60, 30, 15, 7 IPS / 200,100,50, 25, 12,6 IPS

CIF: 480,240,120, 60, 30, 15 IPS / 400,200,100, 50, 25, 12 IPS

Multilingual OSD Yes

Image Quality Setting Supper Best, Best, Normal and Basic

Hard Disk Storage Accommodate Up to 2 SATA Hard Drive.

HDD Quick Cleaning Quick clean up the "index system" of the recorded files. 3 TB under 2 seconds

Recording Mode Manual / Timer / Motion / Alarm / Remote

Refresh Rate ( Live View) 480 IPS for NTSC / 400 IPS for PAL

Audio I/O 4 audio input, 2 audio output (Mono) with Audio over internet

I'm not always good at comparison shopping, so I am going to look up the Avermedia specs and compare.

Oh and here is a pic of the rear of the Digital Watchdog we have.

119080_1.jpg

I do hear you about buying outdated technology, I'm just trying to justify the expense in our situation.

Well good luck.... I'm just saying I haven't personally used anything that cheap (dealer price much less retail) for a standalone 16 channel unit. You could get lucky tho, but you could also easily be out $700 on a foreign, unsupported, highly flammable piece of plastic and metal.

BTW- unless you personally know this guy... the "deal" he's giving you means he's only going to make 50 percent instead of his typical 70.

your dvr is not a watchdog system. peal the sticker off and it will say delta-wave. they stopped making them 4 years ago. jpeg 2000.

for a 16 way avtech that price looks well to low. why dont you pm scorpion he is the avtech master on the forum