lpb2008

Wireless Camera recording

Hi,

I am looking for some advice, I have just purchased a Lorex wireless camera and receiver to look over my car, I would like to be able to record it as at the moment it is only useful when I am watching it! Is there any way I can record my wireless camera.

Thanks

Hello!

For short term recording you can use a VCR. You will need to get a VCR tape with as long of a recording time that you can find. Most tapes will be 120, but you might be able to find a 240, or a 480 tape.

You will plug the output of the wireless receiver to your VCR, and then from the VCR to your tv.

Here are some notes about wireless cameras. They are not wireless! You will need to power the camera, or you will need to change a battery everyday!

The distance of most wireless cameras are 300 feet line of sight. You will need to cut that in half and only use 150 feet. The signal will reach 300 feet, but the strength goes down with the distance. Think of a triangle with a ramp shape. Close has the most power, and the small point is the least power, or no power at all.

If you penetrate walls then it is no longer in sight of the antennas. You will have to move the receiver closer to the camera as you go through more walls.

The other thing you need to be aware of wireless camera that have IR is that they are rated at 30 feet. You will need to cut that in half also. Now your camera's night time visiblity is 15 feet with IR. How far is the back of your car from your camera? You may need to get a 60 foot IR camera to watch your car at nightime! Do not forget to add the height of your camera also.

One failure with seeing your car is that most wireless cameras are wide angle lenses out of the box such as 3.8, or 4mm. Anything past 20 feet will not give you a good look at the person near your car. They will be so small in the video that it becomes a waste of time.

You will need a wireless camera with 60 feet of IR with at least a 6mm lens, but a higher number would be better to watch your car, and you need 1000 feet transmitter, (or move the receiver closer, and wire it back to your recording device).

You can buy a DVR and record your footage. If you buy a 4 channel DVR you can add more camera later!

You can buy a USB device that will record video to your computer. What size is your hard drive? Video will eat up small drives in no time!

Any questions?

Thanks for the quick reply, I have already got my camera set up and the view in day and night is better than I expected to be honest it also has sound which is good, I'm aware that it would have to be powered by mains and I have also connected the camera to mains instead of changing a battery everyday. If I was to go down the DVR route what would I need to do?

Thanks

Take the receiver video out, and plug it in to channel one of the DVR's camera input, and you should be good to go!