I've switched to network cameras but I have a variety of name brands; Sony Samsung, JVC. I was considering the NUUO NVR with the embedded Linux system and NUUO CMS software to manage these cameras. However, I have a Netgear NAS NV+ installed on my network for data backup, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use that NAS as an NVR instead of the NUUO NVR so I could get away from having a PC based system.

Well the only NUUO Embedded is the Mini which you could add hard drives to. They have a 4, 8 and 16 channel version, no PC required for NVR. Mini looks like a small NAS box in and of itself.

The downside for me going with the NUUO Mini route is that it is underpowered, limited bandwidth and it is headless meaning it needs to me managed remotely because there is no monitor connectivity.

The big problem I see is playing back events. With all the different camera brands you use, are they all capable of recording to the NAS?, in the same format?, use the same playback program?

The advantage of NUUO or Geovision or whatever NVR you use is the software takes care if the integration of the camera recording, storage and playback.

I've switched to network cameras but I have a variety of name brands; Sony Samsung, JVC. I was considering the NUUO NVR with the embedded Linux system and NUUO CMS software to manage these cameras. However, I have a Netgear NAS NV+ installed on my network for data backup, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use that NAS as an NVR instead of the NUUO NVR so I could get away from having a PC based system.

Only Mobotix does this very well.

http://www.mobotix.com/region/index/

Panasonic is a near miss (can't create folders via ftp), but what about Axis?

Best,

Christopher

Panasonic is a near miss (can't create folders via ftp), but what about Axis?

Best,

Christopher

I don't want to look though folders to find video, Panasonic and Axis do this well. I want a GUI interface to interact with and Mobotix is your only option.

I don't want to look though folders to find video, Panasonic and Axis do this well.

Axis does this well. Panasonic can not upload to folders.

I want a GUI interface to interact with

Oh, OK.

and Mobotix is your only option.

What about the Axis GUI interface?

Best,

Christopher

I don't want to look though folders to find video, Panasonic and Axis do this well.

Axis does this well. Panasonic can not upload to folders.

I want a GUI interface to interact with

Oh, OK.

and Mobotix is your only option.

What about the Axis GUI interface?

Best,

Christopher

What GUI are you taking about? The web interface of the camera that shows a list if files that are stored on the SD card? Would you mind posting a screen shot?

This is from Panasonic's manual.

FTP Client - Alarm image transfer, FTP Periodic transfer, Active/Passive selectable (When the FTP

periodic transmission is failed, backup on an optional SD memory card is available.)

The web interface of the camera

Oh, the Axis camera web interface, ok, understood.

This is from Panasonic's manual.

FTP Client - Alarm image transfer, FTP Periodic transfer, Active/Passive selectable (When the FTP

periodic transmission is failed, backup on an optional SD memory card is available.)

I own the 502. Don't know about other models, but the 502 can not upload images via ftp to date/time folders. This means all images must be written to one folder. After a week or two, there are so many images in one folder the OS slows down to a crawl when attempting to view, copy, or move images. Last year Axis released new firmware that can upload images via ftp to folders with date/time names. This is a major improvement.

Regarding the SD backup, I can't get this feature to work on the 502. When the NAS is down, the 502 does not write any images to the SD card. At least, I can't get it to work.

Best,

Christopher